Marriage and Divorce Frequently Asked Questions

For legal questions about Texas vital records, please consult an attorney. For marriage and divorce questions, consult the Texas Family Code. For questions about ordering marriage verification or divorce verification letters online, see the Frequently Asked Questions page.

I need a copy of my marriage license or my divorce decree. How can I order that?
Our office cannot issue a certified copy of a marriage license or divorce decree. You can obtain a certified copy of a marriage license from the county clerk's office in the county that issued the marriage license. You must obtain a certified copy of a divorce decree from the district clerk's office in the county where the divorce was granted. 

Can you tell me the date and place where someone was married or divorced?

Verification letters of marriage are available for marriages that occurred from 1966 to present.
Verification letters of divorce are available for divorces that occurred from 1968 to present.

For records prior to those years, you must contact the county where the marriage license was issued or the district clerk in the district where the divorce was granted. 

Download the VS-141.3 Application for a Marriage or Divorce Verification (48K). The fee to search our files and indexes is $20. The fee is retained as payment for the search, even if a record is not found.


I need a “single-status letter.” How do I get one?
Request a marriage verification letter through or see the Verification of a Marriage or Divorce page for more information. List only yourself as the spouse. If no marriage records are found, a single-status letter will be sent to you.

Last updated January 27, 2016