The mission of the DSHS Continuing Education Service is to promote continuous improvement in population health and patient care by providing educational activities for health professionals. Last year the Continuing Education Service provided continuing education hours for over 250 professional development events that reached over 50,000 health professionals. Many of our learners include professionals practicing in hospitals, clinics, federally qualified health centers, local health departments, community based organizations, educational institutions, community mental health centers, and state/national level governmental agencies.
The DSHS Continuing Education Service encourages interprofessional continuing education that brings together professionals from two or more professions to learn about, from, and with each other, to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes. Towards that end, the Continuing Education Service provides continuing education credits/contact hours for the following:
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Accredited by the Texas Medical Association to provide AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Please see the Texas Medical Board website for
physician CME requirements.
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE)
Accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Please see the Texas Board of Nursing website for
Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE)
Texas State Board of Pharmacy accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by Texas Medical Association. Please see the Texas State Board of Pharmacy website for
Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES)
Designated as a provider of continuing education contact hours by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC), Inc. Please see the NCHEC website for
CHES continuing education requirements.
Licensed Social Workers
Approved by the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners to offer continuing education contact hours. Please see the DSHS Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners webpage for
social worker continuing education requirements.
Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors (LCDC)
Works in conjunction with the DSHS Division for Mental Health and Substance Abuse to offer continuing education units to licensed chemical dependency counselors. Please see the DSHS Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor Program webpage for
LCDC continuing education requirements.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT)
Approved by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage and Family Therapists to offer continuing education contact hours. Please see the DSHS Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage and Family Therapists webpage for
LMFT continuing education requirements.
Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC)
Approved by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to offer continuing education contact hours. Please see the DSHS Texas State Board of Examiners Professional Counselors webpage for
LPC continuing education requirements.
Authorized by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists as a (c)(2)(A) provider of professional development hours for licensed psychologists. Please see the 22 Tex. Admin. Code §461.11 for
licensed psychologist continuing education requirements.
Sponsor of Registered Sanitarian continuing education according to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1. Chapter 140, Subchapter C, §140.113. Please see the DSHS Sanitarian Registration Program webpage for
registered sanitarian continuing education requirements.
Process for Obtaining Continuing Education Credits/Contact Hours:
PLEASE NOTE: The Continuing Education Service coordinates the provision of continuing education contact hours for HHS and DSHS-hosted training events. Completed documentation packets (CE Doc Pac) must be turned in (at a minimum) 60 days prior to the event date. Continuing education hours may not be promoted without approval from Continuing Education Service.
Steps to obtain credits:
- Contact Continuing Education Service at
CE.Service@dshs.texas.gov or by phone at 512-776-3566.
- Identify the individual who will become the event planner – someone who is responsible for all pre- and post-event documentation.
- The event planner participates in a brief overview call with Continuing Education Service.
- Form a planning committee to include representation from Continuing Education Service.
- The planning committee creates a preliminary plan for:
- Practice gap and needs assessment data,
- Learning objectives and topics, and
- Potential speakers.
- The event planner completes the CE Doc Pac and submits it to Continuing Education Service.
- Continuing Education Service reviews the documentation and sends any comments back to the event planner. (Repeat steps six and seven as necessary.)
- Once finalized, Continuing Education Service issues a Credit Letter. The event planner must now promote CE credits/contact hours to their potential participants.
- The event planner sends certificates to participants within 14 days after the event.
- The event planner submits all post-event documentation to Continuing Education Service within 30 days after the event.