What is Personal Care Services?
Personal Care Services (PCS) is a Medicaid benefit that helps clients with everyday tasks. These tasks are called activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs).
Examples of ADLs
- Going to the toilet
Examples of IADLs
- Light housework
- Fixing meals
To get PCS, you must:
- Be birth through age 20 and have Medicaid.
- Have a disability, physical or mental illness, or a health problem that lasts for a long time.
- Have a Practitioner Statement of Need signed by a practitioner (physician, advanced practice nurse, or physician assistant) who has examined you in the last 12 months.
- Need help with ADLs and IADLs based on the Personal Care Assessment Form (PCAF).
- Give a reason why your guardian cannot help you with ADLs and IADLs.
For more information, or for questions about the PCS benefit, call the Texas Medicaid & Healthcare Partnership (TMHP) PCS Client Line toll free at 1-888-276-0702, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Order PCS brochures online at http://www.dshs.texas.gov/thsteps/THStepsCatalog.shtm.