2017 Meeting Dates
• Friday, February 24, 2017
• Saturday, May 6, 2017
• Friday, August 18, 2017
• Saturday, November 4, 2017
Email the CVD & Stroke Program for details.
The 76th Legislature passed House Bill 2085 which included the creation of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke consisting of 11 appointed members. Activities of the Council include:
- developing an effective and resource-efficient plan,
- conducting health education, public awareness, and community outreach,
- improving access to treatment,
- coordinating activities among agencies within the state,
- developing a database of recommendations for treatment and care, and
- collecting and analyzing information related to CVD
Vision and Mission Statement
Vision Statement: Texans optimizing heart and brain health through education and action.
Mission Statement: The mission of the Texas Council on Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke is to educate, inform and facilitate action among Texans to reduce the human and financial toll of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
About the Council
- Members of the Council are chosen as
representatives of relevant medical, research and policy fields, plus public
members who have personal or family experience with stroke or CVD.
- They are elected to six-year terms by the
Governor of Texas.
- Agency Representatives are selected by Agency
- Currently there are no vacancies within the
Council. Visit http://governor.state.tx.us/appointments/ for more information on how to apply to serve on the Texas Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke Council.
J. Neal Rutledge, M.D., Chair
Licensed Physician in Stroke
Cheryle Locke Pingel
Michael M. Hawkins, M.D.
Bob C. Hillert
Licensed Physician in Cardiology
Sherron D. Meeks
Floristene Johnson, MS
Harry "Kyle" Sheets
Licensed Physician in Primary Care
Maricella "Marcie" Gonzalez Wilson
Public Health, Policy and Research
Public Health, Policy, Research, Practice Member
Non-Voting Agency Representatives
Diane Himmel, LPC
Program Specialist for Physical Disabilities
Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services