Under the Texas Department of State Health Services, Rio Grande State Center (RGSC) is the only public provider south of San Antonio, Texas that offers outpatient medical healthcare, inpatient mental health services and long-term services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This unique configuration of services has been provided to the Rio Grande Valley since 1956.
RGSC is accredited by The Joint Commission. The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization, which sets standards for, and evaluates health care organizations in accordance with nationally recognized guidelines. The standards include an organization's level of performance in key functional areas such as patient rights, patient treatment, medication management, and infection control. They also focus on the hospital's ability to provide safe, quality care. To earn and maintain accreditation, an organization must undergo an on-site survey by a Joint Commission survey team at least every three years. RGSC was last accredited in July 2011.
Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID), Medicare, the American College of Radiology (ACR), and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) with Certificate of provider-performed microscopy procedures also certify RGSC.
General Information about Mental Health Services
Our psychiatric hospital is a 55-bed in-patient facility certified by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS). The Joint Commission also accredits services for people diagnosed with acute mental illness, ages 18 and older. Forty beds are designated as Acute Care and fifteen beds are designated as Forensic. Acute mental health services are provided to the following eight counties: Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, and Willacy. Forensic services are provided to all Texas counties for individuals who have committed non-violent felonies or misdemeanors.
Acute Care admissions to RGSC requires screening and referral by the local mental health authorities. Forensic admissions are referred through the statewide clearinghouse.
RGSC offers treatment to people who require emergency/crisis hospitalization for their mental illness or forensic admission for competency restoration. The population consists of individuals who suffer from persistent and disabling mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder or other severely disabling mental disorders.
General Information about Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) Services
Our long-term program is a 75 bed residential facility. Services are accredited by The Joint Commission and certified by DADS as an Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) for people diagnosed with an intellectual disability, ages 18 and older. Services for individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities are provided to the following 12 counties: Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Willacy, Jim Hogg, Starr, Webb, and Zapata.
The admission process to RGSC requires screening and referral by the local intellectual disability authorities.
RGSC offers services to consumers with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism, dual diagnoses (Intellectual or Developmental Disability/Mental Illness) and related disorders. Consumers must need a structured environment and program that cannot be provided in the home or community setting.
General Information about the Outpatient Clinic
Our Outpatient Clinic provides Primary medical care, cancer screening, and Women’s health care, to adults living in the lower Rio Grande Valley. Service include nutrition therapy, diabetes education and vaccinations thru the DSHS Adult Safety Net program. The Joint Commission, Medicare, the American College of Radiology (ACR), and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) with Certificate of provider-performed microscopy procedures accredit services. The Outpatient Clinic services are provided to the following four counties: Cameron, Hidalgo, Willacy, and Starr.
The registration process is scheduled via appointment to the Outpatient Clinic requires proof of residency, income verification, proof of Insurance (if covered) and a form of identification (photo I.D.).
The Clinic's scope of services includes: Primary Care/Internal Medicine, Women’s Health, Walk-In Triage, Diagnostic Radiology, Social Services, and Pharmacy Services (Prescription Assistance Program and limited formulary). In-Patient TB hospitalization for complications is available via contract.
Affiliation Agreements for Educational Experience
- Capella University – Social/Behavioral Sciences
- Eastern Kentucky University – Masters Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District – school for age appropriate clients (ICF)
- LeTourneau University – Masters of Arts in Counseling
- Our Lady of the Lake – Social Work
- RGV Careers – Associate Degree Nursing, Medical Office Specialist/Medical Billing & Coding, Patient Care Technician, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, Vocational Nursing, Electrocardiogram Technician
- Samford University - Nursing
- San Antonio College – Human Services, Drug/Alcohol Abuse Counseling
- South Texas Academy of Medical Professionals – Allied Health
- South Texas Community College – Nursing/Allied Health/Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Southern Career Institute – Medical Assistant Program & Medical Billing & Coding
- Texas A&M – Corpus – Nursing
- Texas A&M – Kingsville – Pharmacy
- Texas Southmost College – Nursing
- TSTC – Harlingen – Nursing. HIM (Health Information Management)
- University of Texas – Austin – Education Program & Pharmacy
- University of Texas – Rio Grande Valley – College of Health Affairs, Counseling and Guidance, Medical Students, Visual Arts, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry
- University of Texas – Health Science Center at San Antonio – Nursing, Psychiatry, School of Medicine
- University of Missouri – Nursing
- Valley Baptist Medical Center – Family Residency Program
- Valley Grande Institute – Clinical Education
- Walden University – Mental Health Counseling