The Volunteer Council for Rusk State Hospital, Inc. and the Community Relations Department facilitate the involvement of volunteers, donors, and community resources to enrich the patients' lives.
The Volunteer Council for the Rusk State Hospital, Inc, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, charitable organization, working in partnership with Rusk State Hospital, is the hospital's resource for donations of goods, services, merchandise, and money for the use and benefit of Rusk State Hospital and the patients. Contact us via email at The Volunteer Council.
The Community Relations Department develops volunteer programs to enhance services provided by the hospital and serves as the liaison to the hospital, community, and the Volunteer Council.
- Sponsor birthday parties, landscape beautification projects, and recreational events;
- Provide musical, theatrical, and other group entertainment;
- Participate in the Adopt-A-Patient program;
- Serve as aides in arts & crafts & recreation;
- Visit patients;
- Provide donations for the patient shopping center and library;
- Sponsor July 4th, Halloween, Christmas and other seasonal events; and
- Sponsor capital improvement projects.
Patients benefit from a variety of gifts including:
- Personal care items such as deodorant, soap, shampoo, shaving supplies, cosmetics, combs, brushes, sewing supplies, wigs and toiletries. Plastic containers only please!
- Clothing and accessories such as slippers, shoes, robes, gowns, pajamas, undergarments, outerwear, wallets, and purses.
- Items for leisure activities such as books, puzzles, games, audio tapes, craft supplies, cards, stationery, musical instruments, recreation and sports equipment and gifts for game prizes.
- Books, current magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
- Cash for patients' coupon books to purchase items from the canteen.
- Landscape Master Plan.
Deliver donations to the Patient Shopping Center and the Community Relations office weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. On weekends and holiday, donations are collected at the Welcome Center. Postage-paid contributions should be addressed to Volunteer Council, Rusk State Hospital, 805 North Dickinson Drive, P. O. Box 318, Rusk, TX 75785-0318.
Donations are tax-deductible under Section 170, Internal Revenue Service Code. The value of the contribution is set by the donor.
Memorials may be sent to the Volunteer Council. Acknowledgment cards will be sent to the families of individuals remembered by the memorial gift.
The Community Relations Department coordinates public information presentations about the hospital. For a speaker at your meeting, contact:
Community Relations Department
Rusk State Hospital
P. O. Box 318
Rusk, TX 75785-0318
Telephone (903) 683-7327
FAX (903) 683-7106
Training and Supervision for Volunteers
Patients and staff are assisted most effectively by volunteers who are well-prepared. The Community Relations staff conducts training for volunteers to increase the volunteers' understanding of the patients' needs and mental health services provided at the hospital.
Recognition of Volunteers
Volunteers are annually recognized for their outstanding volunteer service to the hospital. The volunteers' greatest rewards are intangible-their knowledge that they contributed to the patients' comfort, well-being, and recovery.
Ways Volunteers Help the Patients at Rusk State Hospital
You can be a volunteer. Donate clothing, books, games, playing cards, dominoes. Buy a ticket to a ball game. Join the Volunteer Council. Bake a cake, cookies, pie. Donate money, stamps, envelopes, stationery. Give a party. Visit a patient, go bowling with the patients, play basketball. Mail a letter, throw a softball, paint a mural, send us coffee and tea. Give a Christmas party, run a race, describe a painting. Buy Christmas decorations, make a snow cone, ride a paddle boat. Buy a coupon book, donate a piano, guitar, take a patient to a movie. Read a poem, donate Easter decorations. Make a memorial donation, take a patient fishing, draw a picture. Sponsor a field trip, plant a tree, give flowers, attend a Volunteer Council meeting. Donate a cow/horse/ pig/goat/ rabbit/donkey. Donate shrubs. Invite an employee to speak at your civic club. Buy Halloween decorations, carve a pumpkin, send a Christmas gift. Make a Valentine. Build a birdhouse, gazebo, donate flower seeds, plant vegetables. Mail a check, write a grant proposal, give us the shirt off your back. Donate fishing tackle, hook line, and sinker, volunteer on July 4th. Make a pledge, bring a friend to the Council meeting. Say a prayer, donate a Bible, donate a subscription to your hometown newspaper. Donate Christmas cards, write a letter, play the piano. Hang a picture or wallpaper, donate a movie rental, TV, VCR, DVD, radio or stereo. Judge a contest, be an advocate, Adopt A Patient. Donate greeting cards, send a birthday card, Valentine card. Set up a trust, wrap a Christmas gift. Be a friend.