Goals of the YES Waiver include:
- Reducing out-of-home placements and inpatient psychiatric treatment by all child-serving agencies,
- Providing a more complete continuum of community-based services and supports for children and adolescents with SED and their families,
- Ensuring families have access to parent partners and other flexible non-traditional support services as identified in a family-centered planning process, and
- Improving the clinical and functional outcomes of children and adolescents.
The objective of the YES Waiver is to provide community-based services in lieu of institutionalization.
There are a variety of options available for you to contract with the state to provide services funded by the YES Waiver.
Option 1: Comprehensive Waiver Provider (CWP):
As a comprehensive waiver provider, you are contracting either directly with the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) or with a Local Mental Health Authority (LMHA). As a CWP, you agree to provide all of the services available under the waiver, either through employees or sub-contracted providers.
The YES Waiver service array includes:
- Adaptive Aids and Supports
- Community Living Supports
- Family Supports
- Minor Home Modifications
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Paraprofessional Services
- Professional Services (Animal Assisted Therapy, Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Recreational Therapy, Nutritional Counseling)
- Respite (In-Home and Out-Of-Home)
- Supportive Family-based Alternatives
- Transitional Services
- Supported Employment
- Employment Assistance
Comprehensive waiver providers are a business entity with a formal structure. An example of the types of information requested through the application process includes but is not limited to:
- Financial Overview
- Organizational chart and Board Member information
- Policy and Procedures Manual or Operational Handbooks
- Entity Licensing, credentialing, and personnel files
- Subcontractor agreements
- Criminal History Background and Abuse Registry checks
- Qualifications of all individuals to provide services
- Client records keeping practices
Prior to the development of a Provider Agreement and the provision of YES Waiver services, the applicant must meet all Eligibility Requirements and additional credentialing criteria set forth and provided by DSHS. DSHS will conduct both desk and onsite reviews of each applicant.
Application Process: Follow the link to the Open Enrollment website where you will find more information about the contracting period and a link to the current enrollment application. The following is a brief overview of the contracting process:
- Submit your completed application packet for initial review by the procurement department.
- Receive feedback and submit corrections
- Once approved by procurement, your application is forwarded to DSHS YES Waiver program staff for a desk review.
- Once approved by program staff, a member of the YES Waiver team will contact you to schedule an on-site review.
Upon execution of a Provider Agreement, training will be provided by DSHS to include, but not limited to: Billing and payment process; encounter data submission; and coordination with LMHA. Providers must agree to participate in DSHS-sponsored training related to service delivery. Information on training locations, dates and times is available online at the main Youth Empowerment Services (YES).
Option 2: Service Provider:
As a service provider, you are contracting directly with the Local Mental Health Authority (LMHA) to provide one or more services based on specific eligibility criteria outlined in the policy manual. Each of the LMHAs have their own contracting and onboarding process which includes mandated trainings for all providers. Prior to the development of a Provider Agreement and the provision of YES Waiver services, the applicant must meet all Eligibility Requirements and additional credentialing criteria set forth and provided by DSHS.
Please see the HHSC site for current reimbursement rates for YES Waiver services.
YES Waiver Main
Provider Forms and Samples
Become a YES Waiver Provider (Brochure)(PDF)