News Release
November 6, 2009

The Texas Department of State Health Services continues to order the state’s full allocation of the H1N1 vaccine as quickly as possible, with about 2.5 million doses ordered as of yesterday. More orders and shipments will follow as providers confirm their orders with DSHS.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has allocated about 3 million doses to Texas. About 1 million of those doses were allocated over the course of this week and are in the process of being ordered and distributed to Texas providers.

Due to manufacturing delays, H1N1 vaccine continues to arrive in lower-than-projected quantities. The limited supply is being sent to private providers, hospitals and public health departments for certain priority groups:

  • Pregnant women
  • Children 6 months through 4 years of age
  • Children 5 years through 18 years of age with high-risk health conditions
  • Health care workers who provide direct patient care
  • Close contacts of those 6 months or younger

Health officials urge people in these priority groups to check with their usual health care provider about vaccine availability. As the supply increases, Texas will target more priority groups and later the general population.

Starting next week, local health departments will have access to an increased amount of the vaccine. DSHS will make available 20 percent of the state’s weekly allocation to help them better meet the needs of high-risk people in their communities. The remaining 80 percent will be divided among registered vaccine providers based on priority vaccination groups, vaccine formulation, national supply, geography and other factors.

Texas expects to receive 13 million doses of the vaccine by the end of January.

Note: A CDC report expected to be issued today on national shipments will not include orders processed after Wednesday afternoon and currently on the way to Texas.


(News Media Contact: Carrie Williams, DSHS Assistant Press Officer, 512-458-7400.)

DSHS Press Office on Twitter
Last updated December 27, 2013