The Texas Health and Safety Code requires that all children enrolled for the first time in any public, private, parochial, or denominational school or in a Department of Family and Protective Services licensed child-care center and licensed child care home in Texas, or who meet certain grade criteria (specified below), must be screened or have a professional examination for possible vision and hearing problems. The requirements for Vision and Hearing Screening apply each year for children enrolled in any licensed child-care center and licensed child care home or school program at the ages or grades listed below:
Who Must be Screened?
- 4-years-old by September 1st
- Any other first-time entrants (4 years* through 12th grade)
* (1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th graders)
When Must Screening Be Done?
- Within 120 days of admission.
- Anytime within the school year (preferably within the first semester).
Department of State Health Services Vision and Hearing Screening
If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us.