Vicky Contreras, Program Manager
Texas Department of State Health Services, Health Service Region 8
7430 Louis Pasteur Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229
(210) 949-2157 FAX: (210) 949-2041
Hotline: (877) THSTEPS -- (877) 847-8377
The Texas Department of State Health Services endorses and approach to health care that stresses preventive and primary care as the most efficient and cost-effective ways to improve health.
The mission of the Texas Health Steps Program is to provide preventive and primary health and dental care to Medicaid-eligible youth from birth through age 20.
Through Texas Health Steps, clients receive regularly scheduled medical and dental checkups at no cost, as well as treatment for problems discovered during checkups.
In case of illness or emergency, a client may se a doctor through the Medicaid Program.
The Activities of the regional program include recruitment and contracting of care providers, outreach, case management, and follow up of clients.
Medical and dental screenings are provided by private and other community health providers as well as the Regional Office's medical, dental, and nursing staff.
The Texas Health Steps medical screen is a heath checkup that includes:
- Medical History
- Complte Physical
- Assessment of nutritional, developmental, and mental-health needs
- Laboratory tests (including lead screening)
- Routine Immunizations
- Health Education
- Vision Screening
- Hearing Screening
- Referrals to other health care providers (including dentists) as needed
The Texas Health Steps dental screen is a health checkup that includes:
- Medical and Dental History
- Complete Oral (dental) Examination including age appropriate radiographic (x-ray) evaluation
- Assessment of oral (dental) development
- Preventive and therapeutic dental cleaning
- Dental health education regarding brushing, flossing, the nutritional impact that foods have on teeth, and the relationship between oral health and a person's overall health
Additional dental services provded include:
- Preventive dental sealants
- Restoration of primary (baby) and permanent teeth affected by dental disease (cavities)
- Removal of non-restorable primary and permanent teeth
THSteps Provider Map
Bexar County Coverage for THSteps Medical Providers
Contact Frances Perez - (210) 949-2123
Bexar County Coverage for THSteps Dental Providers
Contact Kathryn Winkelmann - (210) 949-2065