State Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology FAQ's-General Questions

The State Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology’s Frequently Asked Questions are currently under review, and some have been removed pending review. We appreciate your patience in the interim.

DISCLAIMER NOTICE: The Frequently Asked Questions are intended to reduce call volume and to provide a quick reference and starting point for answering common questions from applicants and licensees, as well as the general public and clients of licensees. However, they do not constitute legal advice and are not a substitute for, nor do they override or supersede, current and applicable statutes and rules governing licensure and practice in the fields of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology in Texas. These laws include Texas Occupations Code Chapter 401, governing Speech-Language Pathologists, Audiologists and others regulated under that Statute, which can be found at, and rules adopted under that statute, which can be found in their official and most current form at$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=3&ti=22&pt=32 (22 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 741), and are available on the Board’s website in word format. Persons regulated under these provisions are responsible for full compliance with all applicable provisions in their current form and may not rely on any Frequently Asked Question or response from Board members or staff to excuse noncompliance. Always review all applicable provisions in their current form for current and complete information about applicable requirements.

I plan to move to Texas shortly. How long may I practice before I must obtain a license? I am certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). 

Occupation Code 401.301, requires that you obtain a license before you may practice. To practice without a valid license is a class B misdemeanor and upon conviction is punishable by confinement in the county jail for up to six months, by a $1,000 fine, or by both.


I am ASHA certified and want to see a few clients for a local hospital each week. I was told that I would also need to be licensed even though I may only be in Texas for a year. Must I get a license? 

Yes. The ASHA CCC is the nationally recognized certification, and it may be required by insurers or other third party payors if your employer or clients file for reimbursement for services you delivered but the ASHA CCC is not a license to practice. You may not practice speech-language pathology or audiology in the State of Texas unless you hold a current valid license as specified in Occupation Code, Chapter 401.


How should I list my name with the licensure Board? I am known professionally by a "nickname". 

A licensee must ALWAYS use his or her legal name in license matters, including contacting the Board for information - no nicknames ever. Also in cases where a hyphenated last name is used, always use the hyphenated name in matters related to the license. Using a "nickname" or only part of a hyphenated name when contacting the Board office often delays the response to your request.


I called and notified the licensing board office of my new address. I left it on the recorder after hours. I did not get my license renewal forms until almost the deadline since they were sent to my old address. Why wasn't the new address change made? 

All address changes and name changes must be made in writing to the board office. The office staff cannot accept changes made by telephone or verbally. Proof must be submitted to change your name (e.g. copy of marriage license or divorce decree). Submit any changes by letter or fax; be sure to identify yourself by giving either your license number or your social security number.

May an assistant SLP be assigned service coordination duties in an Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) program?

Yes, an assistant SLP may assist families in locating resources and completing paperwork, and perform other tasks that are typically assigned to service coordinators.

May the public schools employ a substitute to fill in when the speech-language pathologist or assistant is not available?

The only substitute that may be employed is one who holds a current, valid speech-language pathology, intern in speech-language pathology or assistant in speech-language pathology license or one who holds the Texas Education Agency's certificate in speech and hearing therapy. Occupation Code, 401.301 requires an individual to hold a license to practice in Texas. Exemptions are listed in Sections 401.051-401.060.

I have been told by my employer to keep my therapy records in such a manner as to have it appear that I have given individual therapy to children I have seen in group therapy. This helps the school district collect more money from SHARS, but this sounds like fraud to me. What will happen if my records are investigated?

What you described is unethical and you could possibly have your license suspended if you were investigated and found in violation of the Code of Ethics. Your records must be accurate relative to the duration, dates, and type of services performed.


Go to the top of this page. Return to the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Home Page.


Last updated November 21, 2014