Mission and Goals
The mission of DSHS Tobacco Prevention and Control is to reduce the health effects and economic toll tobacco has placed on the citizens of Texas. Major goals are:
- Prevent tobacco use among young people.
- Promote compliance and support adequate enforcement of federal, state and local tobacco laws.
- Increase cessation among young people and adults.
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Reduce tobacco use among populations with the highest burden of tobacco-related health disparities.
- Develop and maintain statewide capacity for comprehensive tobacco prevention and control.
Want to Quit?
Contact the American Cancer Society Quitline for free and confidential counseling
services, support and information:
You can also visit www.yesquit.org or click "Want to Quit?"
on the left side of your screen for more information
DSHS Tobacco Prevention and Control provides the following services:
- Technical assistance to community organizations, schools, worksites, health professionals, and law enforcement agencies on tobacco use prevention issues
clearinghouse of information on tobacco use prevention issues
- Media campaign to educate Texans about the dangers of tobacco use and the Texas Tobacco Law
- Assistance in conducting the
Texas Youth Tobacco Survey which provides current data on youth tobacco use rates and trends
- Toll-free number for those who wish to request tobacco information or to report illegal tobacco sales to youth: 1-800-345-8647
- In partnerships with the American Cancer Society “Quit For Life” program, provided by Free and Clear, multi-lingual, free, and confidential telephone cessation counseling for Texans needing support or information in quitting tobacco use:
- TTY: 1-866-228-4327
- Brochures and literature on various tobacco topics including cessation, secondhand smoke, spit tobacco, cigars, youth, worksite policy development, school resources, and multilingual resources
- Free loan of tobacco videos from the
Texas Department of State Health Services Audiovisual Library. The DSHS audiovisual catalog includes numerous titles on all aspects of tobacco, including advertising and counter-marketing, health dangers and quitting.
Click here to view available titles and ordering instructions in PDF format (150 kb, Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing -
click here for viewing information)
- Information on tobacco prevention
- Current research information and statistics
web sites on tobacco prevention and education
web site on tobacco cessation with resources for those who want to quit tobacco
DSHS Tobacco Prevention and Control serves many roles in Texas tobacco prevention activities: