Woman's Right to Know - Resource Directory

How to use the Woman’s Right to Know Resource Directory

  • Look for the county where you live or the county where you would like to receive services.
  • Look for the type of agency you need.
  • Call one of the agencies listed and tell them what you need.
  • If they are not able to help you with what you need, ask them whom you should call.

Please remember that there are many people who can help you. They will answer your questions or tell you whom to call. It is important to keep asking questions until you get the help you need.

You should know that, if you choose to have your baby and find yourself weighed down by the job of being a parent, Texas has the “Baby Moses / Safe Haven” law. The law allows you or the baby’s father to leave a baby under 60 days old in a safe place and not return for the baby without fear of being charged with a crime, if the baby is not hurt. Safe places are hospitals, fire stations, emergency clinics or licensed child-placing agencies.

Talk to someone if you feel weighed down about being a parent. There is help available.

Statewide Services

In the Woman’s Right to Know Resource Directory you will find the name, address, and telephone number of agencies and organizations by county in Texas that may provide you with services.

  • Financial and health-care services for you during your pregnancy and childbirth
  • Financial and health-care services for your newborn baby and while the child is growing up
  • Adoption agencies
  • Pregnancy-prevention counseling and medical referrals

The following state agencies can provide medical, financial, and support services. Some of the agencies have special eligibility requirements. You will want to contact the agencies you are interested in to see if you qualify for services.

  • Food Stamps, Cash Assistance, and Medical Assistance (Medicaid), and more
    You may check your potential eligibility and apply for several assistance programs at the Your Texas Benefits website.

  • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Health Insurance for Children
    The Children’s Health Insurance Program is a children’s health insurance program for families who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid, yet cannot afford health insurance. To see if your child qualifies for CHIP, call TexCare:
    1 (800) 647-6558
    — or visit the HHSC Web site at: http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us

  • Child Support Services Assistance in Obtaining Child Support
    The Texas Office of the Attorney General can assist you in getting child support for your baby. The child-support office can help locate a non-custodial parent, determine the father of the child (paternity), establish and enforce child-support orders, review and adjust child-support payments, and collect those payments. You may contact the child support office by calling:
    1 (800) 252-8014
    — or visit the OAG Web site at: http://www.oag.state.tx.us

  • Child Care Services
    Licensed Day Care Facilities

    You can find a licensed day-care center in your county by calling the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services:
    1 (800) 862-5252

  • Family Health Services Information & Referral Line
    The Family Health Services Information & Referral Line is a toll-free information and referral service for women and children in Texas.
    1 (800) 422-2956
    — or visit the Web site at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mch/babylove.shtm

  • Title V Agencies
    Health-Care Services

    Title V provides services for women and children to pay for selected maternity services; infant, child and adolescent health-care services, family-planning services, dysplasia services and dental services for children and adolescents. You may find a list of Title V providers by county at their Web site:
    — or call: 1 (800) 422-2956

Services by County

The Woman’s Right to Know Resource Directory lists the following public and private agencies, organizations, and services. The directory provides a list of services in a county.

  • Adoption Agencies
    The resource directory provides a list of public and private agencies in case you decide to put your baby up for adoption. The Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services licenses adoption agencies.
  • Birthing Facilities
    A birthing facility is another place for a pregnant woman to deliver a baby besides at home or in a hospital. The mother and unborn child must not have had complications during the pregnancy. The Texas Department of State Health Services licenses birthing facilities.
  • Early Childhood Intervention
    ECI is a statewide system of services for families of babies and toddlers, birth to three years of age, with disabilities or delays in development.
  • Local Health Departments
    A local health department is part of a city or county government that provides public-health services. A local health department may provide health-promotion programs and screenings, infectious-disease control and prevention, and public-health education and information services.
  • Maternity Homes
    Maternity homes serve pregnant women with a broad range of services regardless of whether or not an adoption is planned. The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services licenses maternity homes.
  • Pregnancy Care Centers
    These private agencies provide pregnancy counseling and support services. The state of Texas does not license Pregnancy Care Centers.
  • (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, Children
    The Department of State Health Services contracts with agencies and organizations to provide services under the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). WIC provides nutrition education, nutritious foods, referrals to health and human services, breastfeeding support, and immunizations at some clinics. Clients receive individual nutrition counseling and nutrition classes. Many clinics offer classes especially for children.

Last updated September 15, 2016