Definition of Youth Camp
To determine if an operation is a youth camp, the operation must meet the following criteria:
- Provides supervision, instruction, and recreation
- Accommodates at least five minors during each camp session
- Operates as a youth camp for no more than 120 days each calendar year
- Hosts children who are apart from parents or guardians
- Operates as a youth camp for a period of four or more consecutive days
- Operates as a youth camp for more than four consecutive hours per day
- Operates as a youth camp only during school vacation periods
- Offers a variety of activities in an outdoor setting and
- Schedules activities so that campers spend a minimum of 60% of their time out-of-doors between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
Please note that some “camp” operations may not meet all of the criteria listed above, and would not be considered a Youth Camp operation, although they may be considered a Child Care operation. Please see the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Web site for more information on Child Care. Additionally, some licensed youth camps may offer services that do not meet the above criteria (such as weekend retreats), and those services would not be regulated under the youth camp laws.
In order to process your Youth Camp Application as soon as possible, the Environmental and Santitation Licensing Group must receive all of the following qualification documents for your camp along with a completed application and appropriate fee or an online receipt if renewing through the Regulatory Services Online Licensing System.
1. A detailed camp schedule of activities that includes ALL of the following:
- Camp Operation Days and Hours
- Dates and times that the campers will be off-site and activities that they will be doing while offsite.
- Daily Schedule of Camp Activities (For example: Monday - 9 am to 11 am football, 11 am to 12:30 pm lunch, 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm archery, 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm offsite at State park for hiking and swimming.)
2. Map or Driving Directions to the Camp
You may submit this required information as separate documents or provide a camp brochure as long as is contains ALL of the required information that is to be included in the camp schedule.
Contact Information for the Licensing Group
Email: Environmental and Santitation Licensing Group
Phone: (512) 834-6600
Fax: (512) 834-6614
Please see the Contact Information page for additional address and contact information.
Once the Environmental and Sanitation Licensing Group has received all necessary documentation and fees your Youth Camp Application will be processed in the order of receipt. Once issued, the license will be mailed to the mailing address that is provided on the application.