COVID-19 Data Sources
The below are intended to assist users in understanding the coronavirus data posted by DSHS.
At the time of initial publication by DSHS, all coronavirus data are provisional and subject to change.
Data Sources and Other Information
- Case and fatality information is updated daily by 4 p.m.
- As of Jan. 14, 2022, case data for 2020 are final data from the National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (NEDSS).
- Case data for 2021 are provisional data that are a combination of the information reported publicly by local health departments (January through November) and data from electronic lab reports submitted to NEDSS (December). Data will be finalized later in 2022.
- Case data for 2022 are provisional data from electronic lab reports submitted to NEDSS.
- As of July 27, 2020, DSHS is reporting COVID-19 fatality data based on death certificates. A fatality is counted as a COVID-19 fatality when the medical certifier attests on the death certificate that COVID-19 is a cause of death. This change means fatalities may be counted sooner and demographic data will be more comprehensive. Also, fatalities can now be displayed by date of death, presenting a more complete view of deaths over time. Fatalities are reported by the county of residence.
- DSHS graphs reflect the date of death, and the totals for previous days will change as death certificates are filed or amended. By law, death certificates must be filed within 10 days of death and may be amended later. DSHS will continue to provide the number of newly reported fatalities each.
- Testing numbers show the number of test results for Texas residents reported to DSHS by public health and private labs. They do not include tests or at-home tests.
- Demographic data for cases comes from electronic lab reports and case investigations submitted to NEDSS.
- Hospitalization and hospital capacity numbers are reported daily by hospitals through eight Hospital Preparedness Program providers that coordinate healthcare system preparedness and response activities in Texas.
- County, TSA, and state population counts are based on the 2020 Census population.