|Rabies (Lyssa) ICD-9 071; ICD-10 A82
Related Topics: Oral Rabies Vaccine Programs
Texas periodically experiences outbreaks of rabies in skunks. Certain parts of Texas are currently experiencing such an outbreak.
What you should know:
- Don't handle any wildlife, regardless of whether it appears healthy or sick.
- Teach your children to never touch wildlife.
- Have your pet vaccinated to protect him or her against rabies.
- Rabies is transmitted through saliva, most typically in bites. You cannot get rabies by being sprayed by a skunk.
- If you or pet get bitten, immediately wash the wound with soap and water. Seek medical assistance as soon as possible to determine whether treatment is needed to prevent rabies. Once symptoms of rabies begin, the disease is fatal.