University Engagement at DSHS
Learn more about the how DSHS collaborates with university partners to improve the health of Texans. The following detail examples of internships, programs, and academic collaborations that highlight the ways that DSHS supports student learning and public health workforce development across Texas.
- Theory to Practice: Public Health Region 6/5S partners with a UTHealth class to create healthier communities in rural southeast Texas
UTHealth Community Assessment Concepts class connects its work to real-world health needs of rural Texans.
- Lori Boies - Texas Syndromic Surveillance (MPH Epidemiology - UT Health Science Center at Houston
Boies analyzed data to investigate emerging evidence and support the DSHS COVID-19 response.
- Barbara Jardine - Vulnerable Populations and Facilities Taskforce (MPH Epidemiology - Texas A&M University)
Jardine takes on important role in supporting DSHS COVID-19 taskforce.
- Audrey Payton and Noel Pratts - Fiscal Monitoring Unit (BA Business - Southwestern University)
Payton and Pratts built their technical and quantitative skills working with a DSHS operations team.
- Miles Greenfield - Digital Communication (BA Health and Society - UT Austin)
Greenfield assists in agency's social media response to COVID-19.
- Shiva Dhiman - COVID-19 Response Management: Region 8 (BS Public Health - Baylor University)
Dhiman participates in case investigations and contact tracing to help stop the spread of COVID-19.