Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) Exposure Guidelines
(Avian Influenza, Bird Flu, HPAI)
Guidelines for healthcare professionals for suspected cases of avian influenza
- Put a mask on the patient (surgical is fine).
- Get a thorough history (including travel history, occupation, other ill close contacts) and respiratory specimens (nasopharyngeal, throat swab, nasal wash).
- Instruct the lab to save all specimens.
- Do a rapid test for flu, if possible; otherwise, prep the specimens for overnight shipment to the Texas Department of State Health Services maintaining the cold chain.
- Call the local, regional, or state health department or laboratory for assistance.
- Determine all staff, visitors, guests, or others potentially exposed during clinic or emergency department triage.
- Further intervention and/or evaluation would depend on the situation.