Ask the State Registrar

Questions to the office of state registrar related to vital statistics partners. 

Check back for new questions every two weeks.

Current Question

Q: A family wants to have a burial at home on their private property. How does the family proceed with filing the death certificate?

A: The best practice is to have the Medical Certifier start the death certificate in the TER System. The medical certifier would drop the record to paper, and certify the death certificate. The family takes the signed death certificate to the local registrar in the registration district where the death occurred. The local registrar in turn files the death certificate and sends to the State of Texas where it would become an official record of death.

Ask a QuestionPrevious Questions

Last updated October 10, 2018