• For fastest service:
    Order Online 24/7
    What is my processing time?

    Order Records Locally
    Contact local offices for details.

    Identification Requirements

    Check Order Status
    Contact Us

    Office Hours
    Monday-Friday, 8 am - 4 pm

    Phone: 888-963-7111
    Fax: 512-776-7711

    Addresses | Central Campus Map (PDF)

    General Info: registrar@dshs.texas.gov

Acceptable Identification (ID)

en español

Vital Statistics accepts the following form(s) of identification (ID)*:

  • Provide ONE (1) from GROUP A; OR
  • If you do not have one from Group A, provide TWO (2) from GROUP B; OR
  • If you do not have one from Group A or two from Group B, provide ONE (1) from GROUP B and TWO (2) from GROUP C.

*See Title 25 Texas Administrative Code §181.28 for complete details on qualified applicant identification and supporting documentation requirements.

Watch Acceptable ID Video


Please provide ONE (1) from GROUP A:

Most Common Group A IDs:

  • Driver's License (U.S. only)
  • Federal or State Identification card
  • Military Identification card
  • U.S. Passport

Other Acceptable Group A IDs:

  • Concealed handgun license
  • Pilot's license
  • Law enforcement (Federal, State, or City) employment identification card
  • Offender Identification card issued by the Department of Criminal Justice correctional facility or institution
  • Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued:
    • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
    • Permanent Resident Card (green card)
    • Travel Documents:
      • Re-entry Permit
      • Refugee Travel Permit
      • Advance Parole
    • SENTRI Card
    • U.S. Citizen Identification Card
  • United States Department of State issued:
    • Border Crossing Card (B1 for business or pleasure or B2 medical purposes)
    • Visa

▲ Top


If you do not have one from Group A, please provide TWO (2) from GROUP B:

  • Current student identification
  • Any Primary Acceptable ID from Group A that is expired
  • Signed Social Security card or Numident
  • DD Form 214 Certificate of Release
  • Medicaid card or Medicare card
  • Veterans Affairs card
  • Medical insurance card
  • Foreign Passport accompanied by a Visa issued by the United States Department of State
  • Foreign Passport in accordance with the United States Department of State, Visa Waiver Program
  • Certified birth certificate from the Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
  • Private company employment identification card
  • Form I-94 - accompanied by the applicant's Visa or Passport
  • Mexican voter registration card
  • Foreign Identification with identifiable photo of applicant (this includes the Honduran Consular Certification and the El Salvador Consular Certificate)

▲ Top


If you do not have one from Group A or two from Group B, provide ONE (1) from GROUP B and TWO (2) from GROUP C:

  • Recent utility bill or cell phone bill with current address
  • Recent paycheck stub
  • Any Secondary Acceptable ID from Group B that is expired
  • Public assistance applications or letters
  • Signed valid voter’s registration card
  • Police report of stolen identification
  • Official school transcript
  • Bank account statement
  • Social security letter
  • Marriage license or divorce decree
  • Certified birth certificate from a state other than Texas, District of Columbia, or other country
  • Automobile insurance card or contract
  • Lease agreement
  • Loan or installment payment contract
  • Promissory note or loan contract
  • Court order
  • Property title or lien
  • Automobile title or registration
  • Library card
  • Fishing or hunting license
  • Recent medical record or bill
  • Religious record w/signature of religious official
  • Recent rent receipt with address and name
  • Federal, state, or local tax records
  • Dept. of Homeland Security notice or correspondence

▲ Top

Last updated November 18, 2019