CHW Certification Requirements
- Texas resident
- Training – Completion of an approved 160-hour competency-based Community Health Worker training program certified by DSHS OR
- Experience – At least 1000 cumulative hours of community health work services within the most recent six (6) years. Experience will be verified with the supervisor(s) noted in the application.
The following must be submitted to DSHS:
- Signed and dated application with all information completed. A typed or handwritten signature is acceptable.
- Photo - Colored photo of your face, similar to a passport photo. Please do not send a copy of your driver's license photo.
- Training certificate of completion (if applying based on completion of an approved 160-hour competency-based training program certified by DSHS)
Helpful information for completing an application:
Initial CHW Application
- Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker Application for Certification – English Word Doc
- Solicitud de Certificación del Promotor(a) de Salud - Español Word Doc
CHW Renewal Requirements
- You must renew your certificate every two years.
- During the two years before your renewal date, you must complete 20 hours of continuing education units (CEUs) related to the core competencies.
- DSHS Certified Continuing Education - At least ten(10) certified hours of continuing education must come from participation in a DSHS approved training program.
- You may combine five (5) DSHS certified hours of continuing education AND up to five (5) hours of continuing education you completed to renew a Texas license or certification in another health profession.
- The remaining ten (10) hours may come from training programs and instructors not certified by DSHS that relate to one or more of the core competencies. (aka: Non-DSHS Certified Continuing Education) You may also satisfy non-certified continuing education hours through other verifiable self study, such as reading materials, audio materials, audiovisual materials or a combination . A list of resources may be found at: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/library/chw.shtm
- Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker Application for Certificate Renewal – English Word Doc
- Solicitud de Renovación del Certificado del Promotor(a) de Salud – Spanish Word Doc
How do I find my CHW certification number and/or expiration date?
You will need to go to the Texas Department of State Health Services website, Check License Status or Search for a License (CHW certification number) and perform a search. Do Not Create an account go to "License Search".
Do you need to request extra time to complete your CEUs?
You may request an extension of up to 120 days(4 months) in writing before your certification expires. Only one extension is allowed per two year certification period. Your written request must be mailed or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org), include your name and CHW certification number.
Has your certification been expired for less than a year?
You may renew your expired CHW certification by completing the required continuing education units (CEUs) and submitting the Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker application for certificate renewal (above), if your certificate has been expired for one year or less. Your renewed CHW certification will expire two years from the date the previous certification expired.
Has your certification been expired for more than a year?
You may re-apply if your certification has been expired for more than one year. You must submit an initial application (below) for certification for approval if you wish to regain your certification.
1. Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker Application for Certification – English Word Doc
2. Solicitud de Certificación del Promotor(a) de Salud - Español Word Doc
For questions about CHW certification, call: (512) 776-2570 or (512) 776-2624
For questions about Instructor or Training Program certification, call: (512)776-3860 or (512) 776-2208
Submit applications, questions or comments to:
Fax: (512) 776-7658
Mail: Texas Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 149347, MC1922
Attn: CHW Training and Certification Program
Austin, TX 78714-9347
Return to CHW Program Home Page