CHW Instructor Certification Renewal
Instructor Renewal Requirements
- Current Texas resident.
- Renew certification every two years.
- Complete 20 hours of continuing education units (CEUs).
Documents to Send to DSHS for Instructor Renewal
- Signed and dated application with all information completed. A typed or handwritten signature is acceptable.
- Copies of your 20 hours of continuing education units (CEUs) saved in PDF format.
(See Possible Breakdown of CEUs for Renewing section below for more information.)
- Color photo of your face, similar to a passport photo.
Instructor Renewal Application
Solicitud de Renovación del Certificado del Instructor(a) [en español, Word]
**Due to COVID-19, there will be delays with processing applications submitted by mail. Applications submitted via email at CHW@dshs.texas.gov or online will be processed in the order they are received within 90 days. Applications submitted by fax or mail prior to March 17 will need to be resubmitted via email.
Possible Breakdown of CEUs for Renewing
DSHS-Certified Continuing Education – At least ten(10) certified hours of continuing education must come from participation in a DSHS-approved instructor training program. Note: All CEUs may be DSHS certified.
You may combine five (5) DSHS certified hours of continuing education AND up to five (5) hours of continuing education you completed to renew a Texas license or certification in another health profession.
You may combine five (5) DSHS-certified hours of instructor continuing education AND up to five (5) hours of instruction delivered to promotores, community health workers, or instructors in DSHS-certified training programs. Note that one (1) hour of credit equals two (2) hours actually taught.
Non-Certified Continuing Education – The remaining ten (10) hours may come from training programs and instructors not certified by DSHS that relate to one or more of the core competencies. You also may satisfy non-certified continuing education hours through other verifiable self-study, such as reading materials, audio materials, audiovisual materials or a combination. View a list of resources.
Helpful information for completing an application:
- There is no cost for certification.
- View the application checklist [PDF] to ensure the application is complete.
- Read the photo requirements [PDF] document that provides guidelines to applicants submitting photographs as part of their application to be certified.
How do I find my instructor certification number and/or expiration date?
- Go to the DSHS Online Licensing Services website.
- Do not create an account.
- Go to "license search" found in the Check License Status or Search for a License (CHW certification number) section.
- Perform a search.
Do you need to request extra time to complete your CEUs?
You may request an extension of up to 90 days in writing before your certification expires. Only one extension is allowed per two-year certification period. Your written request must be mailed or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org), include your name and instructor certification number.
Has your certification been expired for less than a year?
You may renew your expired instructor certification by completing the required continuing education units (CEUs) and submitting the Instructor Application for Certificate Renewal [Word] if your certificate has been expired for one year or less. Your renewed instructor certification will expire two years from the date the previous certification expired.
Has your certification been expired for more than a year?
You may re-apply if your certification has been expired for more than one year. You must submit an initial application for CWH instructor certification for approval if you wish to regain your certification.