Community Health Worker Instructor Certification
CHW Instructor Certification Requirements
**Due to COVID-19, there will be delays with processing applications submitted by mail. Applications submitted via email at CHW@dshs.texas.gov or online will be processed in the order they are received within 90 days. Applications submitted by fax or mail prior to March 17 will need to be resubmitted via email.
Community Health Worker (CHW) instructors provide training to promotores de salud/CHWs or other CHW instructors. They know about the role of a CHW, adult education methods, core competencies and curriculum development. CHW Instructors provide culturally-relevant education on a diversity of health topics.
CHW Instructors must meet the following certification requirements:
- Texas resident
- At least 18 years old
- Training- Completion of an approved DSHS certified 160-hour competency-based Community Health Worker Instructor training program.
- Experience- At least 1000 cumulative hours of experience training individuals who provide community health work services including promotores, community health workers, and other health care paraprofessionals and professionals in the previous three years.
Initial CHW Instructor Application
Instructor Application for Certificate Renewal [Word]
Solicitud de Renovación del Certificado del Instructor(a) [en español, Word]
Instructions to Apply Online
(Online application is available only in English at this time.)
- Complete CHW Instructor certification training course [PDF]
- CHW Instructor experience
- Certificate of Course Completion
- Experience Verification Form
All attachments must be saved in PDF format (photo, resume, certificate of course completion and experience verification form if applicable)
Go to the Online Application.
Documents to Send to DSHS for Instructor Certification
- Signed and dated application with all information completed. A typed or handwritten signature is acceptable.
- Color photo of your face, similar to a passport photo
- Professional resume
- Training certificate of completion (if applying based on completion of an approved DSHS certified 160-hour competency-based instructor training program)
- Submit an Employment/Volunteer History Verification Form if applicable.
Helpful information for completing an application:
- There is no cost for certification.
- Application checklist [PDF] to ensure your application is complete.
- Photo requirements [PDF] document that provides guidelines to applicants submitting photographs as part of their application to be certified.
Finding your CHW certification number and/or expiration date
How do I find my instructor certification number and/or expiration date?
- Go to the DSHS Online Licensing Services website.
- Do not create an account.
- Go to "license search" found in the Check License Status or Search for a License (CHW certification number) section.
- Perform a search.