Marriage and Divorce Records

A pair of wedding bands lie on an open book

Vital Statistics issues letters verifying if a marriage or divorce was recorded with the State of Texas based on the application for marriage or divorce sent to our office by local clerks. Verification letters are not considered legal substitutes for marriage licenses or divorce decrees. Vital Statistics strongly recommends that applicants ensure a verification will satisfy its intended use.
Marriage/Divorce Record FAQs

The Vital Statistics Section does maintain public indexes of Texas marriages since 1966 and Texas divorces since 1968. We are unable to issue verifications for marriages before 1966 and divorces before 1968. Prior to ordering, please check public indexes available to verify that the year of marriage or divorce is available. For records unavailable at the state for verification, you must contact the county where the marriage license was issued or the district clerk in the district where the divorce was granted. 

Certified copies of marriage licenses are only available from the county clerk. Certified copies of divorce decrees are only available from the district clerk. Certified copies of marriage/divorce records must be obtained in the county or district in which they were originally filed.

Order Online

The fastest, easiest way to get a marriage or divorce verification is to order online, at
Order Online 24/7

Other Ways to Order

If you are unable to order online, you can order records by mail or in person at a local office or at the Vital Statistics headquarters in Austin.
Download Application

By Mail

Mail-in orders can be processed with standard or expedited service. Be sure to send your application packet to the correct address.
Mailing Addresses

In-Person: Local Offices

Find out where you can order marriage/divorce records near you. Contact your local office for hours. 

Order Records Locally

In-Person: Austin Office

Ordering in person at the Vital Statistics headquarters is limited to our office hours. In-person services are available only for the issuance of certified copies of birth and death records, and issuance of verifications of birth, death, marriage, and divorce records.

Campus Map (PDF) 

In most cases, you will get your record the same day, but some applications require 24 hours or more to process.