The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) has been restructured to sharpen our focus on public health. Our job is to promote and protect the health of people, and the communities where they live, learn, work, worship, and play. We understand no single entity working by itself can improve the health of all Texans. We must all work together to create a better system that includes prevention, intervention, and effective partnerships.
A Healthy Texas
To improve the health, safety, and well-being of Texans through good stewardship of public resources, and a focus on core public health functions.
- Lead with a vision.
- Driven by science and data.
- Partner with a purpose.
- Engage and connect as a team.
- Improve and support health outcomes and well-being for individuals and families
- Ensure efficient access to appropriate services
- Protect the health and safety of vulnerable Texans
- Continuously enhance efficiency and accountability
Learn more about how DSHS pursues our agency goals in our strategic plan.