Texas Youth Tobacco Awareness Program (TYTAP)
TYTAP Classes for Youth
Youth Tobacco Awareness classes are for youth referred by the court, by their school, or by a parent/guardian.*
Texas Youth Tobacco Awareness Program (TYTAP) classes provide information and skills necessary to quit tobacco and avoid tobacco products in the future. This class is for persons under age 21 who are cited for possession of tobacco products.
Find a TYTAP Class and Instructor in your area:
TYTAP Instructor List A - This list is current as of 02/2023 and includes all licensed TYTAP Instructors in Texas. Please use List A to locate an instructor in your county and contact them using the phone number provided to inquire about a TYTAP class. If there is not an instructor on List A for your county then find an instructor in a nearby county or contact an instructor on List B below.*
TYTAP Instructor List B - This list is current as of 02/2023 and includes licensed TYTAP Instructors in Texas approved to conduct virtual classes. You can contact the instructors on List B if you were unable to locate an instructor in your county or in a county near you on List A.*
Please visit https:///tobacco/TYTAP/ or contact Tobacco.Free@dshs.texas.gov if you have issues finding an instructor or questions about TYTAP.
*Approved TYTAP classes are only conducted by trained instructors (individuals) with an active State of Texas TYTAP license. TYTAP participants should verify that a TYTAP instructor is certified and listed below before paying for a TYTAP class. Virtual classes offered by any individual or entity besides those listed here are not valid and the court might not accept a Certificate of Completion from an uncertified organization, instructor, or website. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and refer to Texas Health & Safety Code, Sec.161.253 for more information.
To verify a TYTAP instructor certification follow these steps:
- Visit https://vo.ras.dshs.state.tx.us/datamart/login.do?header=true,
- Under Check License Status, click License Search,
- Search by Name for a Specific License Type,
- Select Texas Youth Tobacco Awareness Program from the dropdown menu for License Type and click Next.
- Enter the name of the instructor off List A or B that you want to verify.
- Click Search.
For problems using the online search, please email Tobacco.Free@dshs.texas.gov.
Other Cessation Resources
TYTAP can be a valuable cessation intervention for youth tobacco use. However, a behavioral intervention class like TYTAP may not be appropriate for everyone or every situation. Here are other youth cessation resources that may be useful:
- Information and resources for quitting vaping can be found at the following links:
- Visit YesQuit.org for expert advice about how to quit using any tobacco product. Call the Texas Tobacco Quitline at 1-877-YES-QUIT to connect with a professional who can guide you through the process and recommend support programs in your community.
Information for Courts & Schools
TYTAP Instructor Application
Register to be a new certified TYTAP Instructor:
- Complete & Submit the TYTAP Instructor Application to Tobacco.Free@dshs.texas.gov. (Please do not fax the application)
- Register & Attend a TYTAP Instructor Training.** Information on instructor trainings is below.
a. There is a $350 fee for approved individuals to attend the TYTAP instructor training.
Renew an Existing TYTAP Certification
- Register and attend a TYTAP Continuing Education In-Service Training**
a. There is a $150 fee for approved recertification TYTAP instructors to attend the TYTAP instructor training.
**This must be obtained at the applicant's expense at www.dps.texas.gov and requires a credit card for payment.
**Only applications that are approved by DSHS can register to attend TYTAP Instructor Trainings. TYTAP Instructors are certified for two years.
TYTAP Instructor Trainings
To register to attend a TYTAP Instructor Training or continuing education course, please complete the TYTAP Instructor Application. All applications must be reviewed and approved by DSHS before registering to attend a training. If there is not a scheduled training listed, please check back.
Current Instructor In-Service
|Dates||Location and Phone Number|
|Jan. 24, 2023||Texas Agrilife Research and Extension Center
17360 Coit Road, Dallas, Texas 75252
|June 16, 2023||College Station (hybrid option)|
New Instructor Trainings
|Feb. 1-Feb.3, 2023||El Paso|
|June 7 – June 9, 2023||Round Rock (hybrid option)|
For general questions or more information about the TYTAP Instructor application process, email email@example.com.
For more information about TYTAP Instructor Training classes, email firstname.lastname@example.org.