Bite Prevention Promotion
27 Things You Can Do in Your Community to Promote Bite Prevention
Start Preparations Early!
- your City Council or County Commissioners to issue a Proclamation declaring (insert date), as Bite Prevention Week in your community.
- the utility companies to include flyers in their bills.
- the banks to include flyers in their monthly statements.
- your librarian to distribute bookmarks.
- your local television news show to run a feature story.
- school nurses to hold mini-classes on bite prevention.
- your County Commissioners or City Council to review the community’s leash and dangerous dog laws.
- for a billboard to be donated.
- Co-sponsor an event with your local:
- veterinary medical association.
- post office.
- utility company.
- Emergency Medical Services.
- articles in your agency's newsletter.
- posters and flyers in veterinary offices.
- a booth at the mall.
- Schedule presentations at:
- schools, daycare centers.
- summer camps (boy/girl scouts, church, YMCA).
- library programs.
- Mother's Day Out programs.
- FFA meetings.
- adult civic group meetings.
- safety meetings of postal carriers, meter readers, pizza delivery persons.
- Progressive Farmer Safety Camps (see contact list below). Progressive Farmer Magazine sponsors Safety Camps that teach children how to avoid injuries in rural and agricultural settings.
- Be Creative
- Send a Letter to the Editor.
- Have an open house at your facility.
- Tell teachers how to order bite prevention materials and videos.