DISCLOSURE: All Zoonosis webpages are under construction temporarily until all content issues are corrected.
(Animals, Animal Control, Animal Shelters, Animals in Disaster, Animals in Public Places,
Animal Friendly Program, Animal Ownership, Animal Bites)
Requirements for Animal Euthanasia
According to Health & Safety Code Chapter 821:
- Injectable sodium pentobarbital is the only form of euthanasia that may be used on dogs and cats in animal shelters.
- Anyone (except a veterinarian) who euthanizes animals in an animal shelter must be trained in proper procedures. The Texas Department of State Health Services has developed a Policy Pertaining to Mandatory Euthanasia Training (Chapter 821) (PDF) to help clarify who needs to take this training.
If you would like more information on these legal requirements, please refer to Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 821, Treatment and Disposition of Animals, Subchapter C at http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.821.htm.
The Texas Department of State Health Services has in place Euthanasia Training Course Requirements and Procedures (PDF).
Click here for a schedule of animal control continuing education courses, including DSHS-approved euthanasia training courses.
SPECIAL NOTICE: Withdrawal/Termination of Training Waivers Issued by the Office of the Governor
Background: On May 14, 2020, the Office of the Governor issued a waiver pertaining to the temporary suspension of Chapter 829 training requirements for animal control officers (ACOs) and a waiver pertaining to the temporary suspension of Chapter 821 (and associated Texas Administrative Code) training requirements for euthanasia technicians as a result of the March 13, 2020, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) disaster declaration. Extensions to these waivers were granted on August 10, 2020, and would be in effect until terminated by the Office of the Governor or until the March 13, 2020, disaster declaration was lifted or expired.
Update – below is the notice issued on July 19, 2021, pertaining to the withdrawal/termination of training waivers from the Office of the Governor
Effective 12:01 AM on September 1, 2021 withdrawal of waivers (These are the animal control officer and euthanasia technician trainings)
- 25 TAC § 169.84(g), extension approved on August 10, 2020
- Texas Health and Safety Code § 821.055(a) and (d), extension approved on August 10, 2020
- Texas Health and Safety Code § 829.002(1)(A) and (2)(A), extension approved on August 10, 2020
- Texas Health and Safety Code § 829.004(a) and (b), extension approved on August 10, 2020