Licensing/Registration Requirements - Asbestos Program

Who Must be Licensed/Registered? 

Persons and companies that engage in asbestos-related activities in a public building in Texas are required to be appropriately licensed or registered by the Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Laboratories that analyze asbestos samples taken from public buildings, transporters that transport asbestos containing materials from public buildings, and training providers that provide training for licensure in Texas must be licensed as well.

Obtaining a License/Registration

To obtain an asbestos license/registration in Texas, a complete license/registration application, including the fee and required documentation must be submitted to the department.

You may apply online using the Regulatory Services Online Licensing System. To determine if the type of license/registration you want to apply for or renew is available online, please see the Online Licensing Page. For online applications, required documentation must still be submitted to the department by mail, fax, or email.

If the license/registration type is not available online, please see the Applications and Forms page to print an application and submit by mail.

View a list of current license/registration requirements by license type.

Processing Time

Asbestos license/registration applications are processed in order of receipt. Application processing time can take up to 60 days for accurately completed applications with appropriate fee amount and longer for applications that are deficient (missing information, documentation, or appropriate fee).

You can check the status of your license/registration at any time through the Online License Search. Once a new application has been approved, the license/registration record will show in the search results and reflect the license/registration number and expiration date. For license/registration renewals, the search results will show the current status and new expiration date.

Licensing Exemptions

Persons who remove resilient floor covering materials in public buildings and that are trained in the 8-hour course provided by the Resilient Floor Covering Institute, are exempt from the licensing requirement. However, the flooring materials must remain intact and be maintained in a non-friable state during removal.

For additional information, the Resilient Floor Covering Institute can be reached at 301-340-8580, or the RFC website.

Rules and Regulations