CHW Instructor Continuing Education
What is a DSHS-certified continuing education unit (CEU)?
The Promotor(a) or Community Health Worker (CHW) Training and Certification Program must certify the training program, curricula and instructor of a continuing education unit (CEU). After that happens, it is approved as a Department of State Health Services (DSHS) certified CEU.
Instructors of community health workers must complete required CEUs to renew their certification. You may access continuing education in person, via distance learning or online depending on the CHW Instructor training program offering the course.
Contact the CHW Training Programs for upcoming instructor continuing education courses in your area. Go to CHW and Instructor Training for a list of DSHS-certified training programs.
- Cardea Services
- CCHD’s National CHW Training Center, Texas A&M School of Public Health
- Texas Health Steps Provider Education Modules
Cardea Services offers online DSHS-certified continuing education courses for CHW Instructors. All courses are in English and are free. For a full list of courses, visit their course catalog.
Questions? Contact Lori Weber at 512-982-9168 or Lweber@cardeaservices.org
CCHD provides online self-paced DSHS-certified continuing education courses in English and Spanish for CHWs. All courses are free.
Texas Health Steps offers several online modules for CHW Instructors. All are provided in English and are free.
View their registration information
Steps for taking the modules:
- Create a Texas Health Steps account.
- Select the “Courses” link at the top of the web page.
- In the Course Finder, select Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker Training and Certification Program from the “Accreditation” drop-down box.
- Select “Find” to search for courses that have been approved for CHWs. This will ensure that you will receive the certificate of completion specifically for CHW Instructors.
- Scroll down to see the DSHS-certified courses.
- Enroll in the course.
- Complete the online pre-test.
- Thoroughly read the content of the module.
- Complete the on-line post-test.
- Complete the evaluation.
- Save and print the certificate to send in with your CHW Instructor renewal application.