Laboratory Fee Schedule
Procedure Number: MAA0012A
|Chancroid, genital ulcer, genital lesion, STD, STI, necrotic, bubo, lymph gland
|Isolation of Haemophilus ducreyi from genital lesions or abscess and identification via conventional biochemical methods.
|Supplemental Information Required
|Performed on Specimens from (sources)
|Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
|Swab or scraping from base of lesion/ulcer or under scab; Abscess aspirate genital lesion, urethral swabs, aspirates from buboes
|Minimum Volume/Size Required
|Storage/Preservation Prior to Shipping
- Store at 2–8°C until shipment.
- Ship to DSHS Laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
|Amies transport medium
- At least two patient identifiers required on specimen (e.g., patient full name, date of birth, medical record number).
- Three patient identifiers are preferred
- Patient identifiers on specimen label must exactly match identifiers on submission form. (e.g., abbreviated name on label and full name on form is not acceptable.)
- Additional DSHS Laboratory specimen labeling guidelines available online here.
|Shipping and Specimen Handling Requirements
- Ship refrigerated at 2–8°C on cold packs for overnight delivery to Laboratory.
- Ship according to Dangerous Goods Regulations, IATA, and/or CFR 49.
- Category B Biological Substance, UN3373 shipping requirements apply.
- Handle as infectious agent using universal precautions.
- Triple-contained in accordance with federal shipping regulations.
- Submitters are responsible for packaging and shipping specimens according to regulatory requirements.
- Laboratory does not supply collection kits or shipping material
- Additional DSHS Laboratory specimen shipping guidelines online here
- Culture with reflex to Conventional biochemical identification
- Specimen should be taken prior to antimicrobial therapy.
|Common Causes for Rejection
- Incorrect specimen collection or submission methods
- Mismatch(es) between patient identifiers on G-2B submission form and specimen label
- Incorrect storage conditions (Specimen must be shipped refrigerated on ice packs. Ambient temperature specimens are not acceptable
- Expired reagents/media/collection container
- Discrepancies between G-2B submission form and specimen label
- Missing/incomplete/illegible submission form
|Intact bubo aspirates are rarely positive for H. ducreyi. Ruptured buboes are more likely to yield organisms.