Definitive ID: Francisella tularensis
Laboratory Fee Schedule
Procedure #: BTA0008
|Synonym(s):||Francisella tularensis, francisella or Rabbit fever PCR|
|Test Description||Culture identification for Francisella tularensis|
|Pre-Approval Needed||Must notify BioThreat Team prior to sample submission: (512) 689-5537|
|Supplemental Information Required||N/A|
|Performed on Specimens from (sources)||Human|
|Sample/Specimen Type for Testing||Pure culture isolate, blood, aspirate, tissue, autopsy|
|Minimum Volume/Size Required||Culture isolates 1 plate or slant, 1 ml for fluids|
|Storage/Preservation Prior to Shipping||Culture isolates ambient, clinical samples 2-8° (cold), keep tissue moist|
• At least 2 patient specific identifiers: First and last name as one identifier and a DOB or a unique patient specific identifier (e.g. Medical record number).
• Specimen identification must match submission form.
|Shipping and Specimen Handling Requirements||
• Ship according to Dangerous Good Regulations, IATA, and/or CFR 49.
• Handled as infectious agent using universal precautions.
• Triple contained in accordance with federal shipping regulations for infectious agents.
• See also Emergency Preparedness resources online.
• Notify BioThreat Team prior to sample submission: (512) 689-5537
|Turn-around Time||Preliminary result 1 day after receipt, final result 1-21 days|
|Interferences/Limitations||Material must be viable. Improper storage or shipping temperatures may limit organism recovery.|
|Causes for Rejection||Insufficient quantity, unacceptable specimen type or source, improper shipping conditions, expired media or collection container, discrepancies between specimen label and submission form, and/or incomplete or missing submission form|
|Additional Information||Will be paired with PCR: Francisella tularensis|