How to Use the DSHS Laboratory Fee Schedules
1. Open the link to the fee schedule you would like to view. The fee schedule will show as a PDF.
2. Testing services are divided by test type, and then shown alphabetically. the test types are:
- Clinical Testing Services - Drinking Water
- Environmental Testing Services - Microbiology
- Environmental Testing Services - Non-Potable Water
- Environmental Testing Services - Solids and Soils
- Environmental Testing Services - Tissue and Vegetation
- Environmental Testing Services - Wipes, Filters, and Cartridges
- Food Testing Services
- Non-Human Microbiology Testing Services
3. Use the “Find” feature when looking for specific test names
4. Review the end of the fee schedule for notes regarding miscellaneous charges, some of which are related to certain laboratory tests.
5. Contact LabInfo@dshs.texas.gov if you have questions regarding the Laboratory Fee Schedules.
Proposed Changes to the Texas DSHS Laboratory Fee Schedule to take effect January 1, 2022
Obtaining DSHS Laboratory Testing Services
Ordering test request forms and kits:
To order test request forms, call our Reporting Department at (512) 776-7318 ext. 2377. To order supplies and kits call the Container Prep Department at (512) 776-7661. Please be prepared to provide your assigned submitter number. Newborn Screening Kits can only be ordered in writing; please fax your order form to (512) 776-7672. Please allow a minimum of one week for delivery of supplies from the date the order is received by DSHS. If you have not received your order in two weeks, please contact (512) 776-7661 to verify that the order form was received. Operators are available by telephone Monday through Friday (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or a message can be left at any time; please include your city with any message. Supplies are mailed out Monday-Friday. For emergency overnight orders, your written request must be received by 2 p.m. the day the shipment needs to go out; the form must be completely filled out including your courier account number so that the shipping costs are billed directly to you from the courier. Please also call no later than 2 p.m. to ensure that the order was received. The DSHS Laboratory is closed on the following holidays
The DSHS Laboratory follows the State Holiday Schedules. Exceptions to this closure schedule will be announced to subscribers of Austin Laboratory and South Texas Laboratory bulletins.
Tests are billed monthly to the physician’s office, hospital, clinic or institution whose account number appears on the test request form accompanying the specimen. When Medicaid, Medicare, Insurance, or any other Third-Party information is included on the test request form, these will be billed prior to the submitter for payment.
- Full payment is due 30 days from date of invoice for all lab services.
- Full payment is due 120 days from date of invoice for Newborn Screening Kits.
Questions about billing may be addressed to:
Department of State Health Services
Revenue Management Unit - Billing Department
PO Box 149347
Austin, TX 78714-9347
CLIA ID: 45D0660644
CAP ID: 3024401
Tax ID # 32-0113643
CLIA ID: 45D0503753
CAP ID: 2148801
Tax ID # 32-0113643