Gonorrhea/Chlamydia (GC/CT), Amplified RNA Probe
Laboratory Fee Schedule
CPT: 87491, 87591
||Gonorrhea/Chlamydia (GC/CT), Amplified RNA Probe
||Target amplification nucleic acid probe test that utilizes target capture for qualitative detection and differentiation of ribosomal RNA (rRNA) from Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and/or Neisseria gonorrhea (GC)
|Supplemental Information Required
|Performed on Specimens from (sources)
|Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
- Vaginal swabs- Aptima Multitest Swab Collection Kit
- Endocervical-Aptima Unisex swabs Collection Kit
- Urethral swabs- Aptima Unisex swabs Collection Kit
- Urine specimens-Aptima Urine Collection Kit
- Oral-Aptima Multitest Swab Collection Kit
- Rectal- Aptima Multitest Swab Collection Kit
- Nasopharyngeal- Aptima Multitest Swab Collection Kit
- Penile Meatal- Aptima Multitest Swab collection Kit
|Minimum Volume/Size Required
||One correct swab or urine filled between the two black indicator lines on the tube label
|Storage/Preservation Prior to Shipping
- Store in a specimen transport tube at 2°C to 30°C for up to 60 days
- Extragenital (rectal and oral) store at 4-30°C for up to 60 days
- For long term storage is needed, freeze at -20°C to -70°C.
- Store in urine specimen in a transport tube at 2°C to 30°C for up to 30 days
- For long term storage, freeze at -20°C to -70°C.
- Two patient-specific identifiers required (e.g., patient full name, date of birth, Medical record number)
- Identifiers on specimen must exactly match submission form.
|Shipping and Specimen Handling Requirements
- Ship according to Dangerous Goods Regulations, IATA, and/or CFR 49.
- Handle as infectious agent using universal precautions.
- Triple contain in accordance with federal shipping regulations for infectious agents.
Additional forms & resources
||Target amplification nucleic acid probe test
||3 working days
||Reliable results are dependent on adequate specimen collection.
|Common Causes for Rejection
- Unacceptable specimen type or source
- Improper shipping conditions
- Expired media or collection container
- Discrepancies between specimen label and/or submission form
- Incomplete or missing submission form
- Wrong swab submitted (white)
- No swab
- Two swabs
- A swab not supplied by Gen-Probe
- Urine not filled between the two black indicator lines on tube label.
||Results from the APTIMA COMBO 2 Assay should be interpreted in conjunction with other laboratory and clinical data available to the clinician.