Frequently Asked Questions from Licensees - Tattoo and Body Piercing Studios

Please pay careful attention to the rules as they are outlined in the minimum standards for licensure of tattoo and certain body piercing studios (tattoo/body piercing rules). You are required to abide by these rules. If they are violated you may face administrative, civil or criminal penalties. Criminal penalty violations are Class A Misdemeanors.

Texas Department of Health State Services (DSHS) Investigators perform inspections of tattoo and body piercing studios on a regular basis by means of routine and compliance inspections and by complaint investigations. Below is a listing of some

For licensing questions, browse the DSHS website or call 512-834-6600 Ext. 2174 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.