Requirements for Changing Vital Records

You can apply for changes or amendments to a vital record by mail. Review the Processing Times page for more information.

Note: For adoption-related changes, see the New Birth Certificate Based on Adoption page.

An application will be rejected if it is not completed properly. When an application is rejected, it is considered closed. You can resubmit the application with corrections, and the processing time will start over.

To change/correct a vital record by mail, you must: