CHW Continuing Education Courses
What is a DSHS-certified continuing education unit (CEU)?
The Promotor(a) or Community Health Worker (CHW) Training and Certification Program must certify the training program, curricula, and instructor of a continuing education unit (CEU). After that happens, it is approved as a Department of State Health Services (DSHS) certified CEU.
Community health workers must complete the required CEUs to renew their certification. Continuing education is available in person, via distance learning, or online depending on the CHW training program offering the course.
DSHS-Certified Training Programs Offering Online Courses
- Cardea Services
- Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health
- University of Texas School of Public Health
- Texas Health Steps Provider Education
- HHSC Early Childhood Intervention
Contact the CHW Training Programs for upcoming CEUs in your area. Go to CHW and Instructor Training for a complete list of DSHS-certified training programs.
Contact Lori Weber at 512-982-9168 or Lweber@cardeaservices.org
Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Office of Special Programs
TAMHSC-SPH offers a variety of CHW courses in English through their website. Registration is required.
Questions? email OSP@srph.tamhsc.edu
University of Texas School of Public Health
Title: Community Leadership
CEUs: 1 DSHS certified CHW CEU (Competency: Knowledge Base)
Information and Registration
Title: Addressing Infant Mortality: Preconception Health
CEUs: 1.5 DSHS certified CHW CEUs (Competency: Knowledge Base, Teaching)
Information and Registration
Texas Health Steps Provider Education
Texas Health Steps offers free online modules. All are provided in English. View their registration information.
Steps for taking the modules:
- Create a Texas Health Steps account.
- Select the “Course” link at the top of the web page.
- In the Course Finder, select Promotor(a)/Community Health Worker Training and Certification Program from the “Accreditation” drop-down box.
- Select “Find” to search for courses that have been approved for CHWs. This will ensure that you will receive the certificate of completion specifically for community health workers/promotores.
- Scroll down to see the DSHS-certified courses.
- Enroll in the course.
- Complete the online pre-test.
- Thoroughly read the content of the module.
- Complete the online post-test.
- Complete the evaluation.
- Print the certificate. Save the certificate to send with your CHW renewal application.
HHSC Early Childhood Intervention
ECI offers a free webinar in English titled, An Introduction to ECI for Community Health Workers
CEUs: 1 DSHS-certified CEU (Competency: Knowledge Base)
Registration: ECI Overview for CHWs
For questions contact, Tammy Miller at 512/776-4326 or firstname.lastname@example.org
After completing the webinar, send an email to ECI_CEU@hhsc.state.tx.us requesting the survey link. After submitting the survey, you will be able to download your CEU certificate.