DSHS Consumable Hemp Product License Process
License applicants are required to submit fingerprints for a background check after they complete the license application process. It is important to not submit fingerprints before completing the application process because doing so will cause delays. The detailed information is in the fingerprinting section of this webpage. To be eligible to receive a DSHS Consumable Hemp Product License, the applicant cannot owe outstanding fees to DSHS or have been convicted of a felony relating to a controlled substance under federal or any other state law before the 10th anniversary of that conviction.
Applicants are required to provide three documents to be uploaded in the online licensing process. Before applying for a DSHS Consumable Hemp Product License, please have the following at your disposal and ready to upload
- A completed Federal Bureau of Investigation Authorization Form (PDF).
- Hemp Property Owner Letter (template PDF with instructions).
- Legal description of the property and Geographic Information System (GIS) coordinates (read below for instructions).
Legal Description of the Property and GIS Coordinates
These are some examples of the legal description of property:
- Lots 6, 7, and the South ½ of Lot 3, West 60 feet of South ½ of Lot 4, West 60 feet of Lot 5 and Lot 8, Block 20, OLD SURVEY, Leesville, Vernon Parish, Louisiana.
- Lot 1, Block 1, Minneapolis Addition, Hennepin County, Minnesota.
If the property is leased, this information may be in the lease agreement. If the property is owned, it may be in the deed.
Some people have found this information on their county property appraisal website.
DSHS will accept a screenshot or a clear photo. Another option is to write the information in a Word document with the information and website where the information was found.
This is an example of GIS coordinates:
- 1100 W. 49th St., Austin, TX 78756 — 30.320473, -97.734052
This information may be found where the legal description of the property is listed. There are apps that can find this information, including Google Maps. To get the GIS coordinates in Google Maps, type in the address and right click the red coordinate marker on the map to reveal the information.
The Application Process
An online application can be started by visiting the Business and Professional Licenses webpage. Applicants are encouraged to use the DSHS Consumable Hemp Product License checklist (PDF) to account for all items required for the application.
The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) oversees the growing, harvesting, handling and transporting of hemp. To learn more, visit the TDA’s hemp regulations webpage.
Applicants are required to start the fingerprint submission process after completing the DSHS Consumable Hemp Product License application process.
The steps are:
1. The applicant will receive the Texas Fingerprint Service Code in the body of the email with the Application Summary.
2. Schedule a fingerprint appointment.
- To schedule an appointment online, visit the IdentoGo website.
- Select Schedule Appointment.
- Follow the prompts to enter requested information.Select a nearby location and a convenient date and time.
- To schedule an appointment by phone, call 888-467-2080.
- The applicant must have the Texas Fingerprint Service Code before calling.
- Provide the service code.
- Provide demographic information.
- Select a nearby location for the appointment
3. At the fingerprint appointment:
- A photo ID and fee payment will be needed. DSHS does not determine the cost of fingerprinting services. The pricing information may be given after the appointment is set up.
- Note: Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.
- The fingerprints will be submitted electronically to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- The applicant will receive a receipt stating they were fingerprinted.
- Do not throw away the receipt — it can be used to check the status of the submission.