DSHS HIV/STD Clinical Quality Management Program
The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) HIV/STD Clinical Quality Management (CQM) Program is guided by the mission of the HIV/STD Prevention and Care Program.
HIV/STD Program Mission Statement
Our mission is to prevent, treat, and/or control the spread of HIV, STD, and other communicable diseases to protect the health of the citizens of Texas. In keeping with this mission, we procure, allocate, and manage fiscal and human resources so that we may:
- Provide HIV/STD education and information;
- Collect, interpret, and distribute data relating to HIV and STD;
- Provide guidance to those who oversee, plan for, or provide HIV and STD services; and
- Provide medication and supplies to prevent, manage, and treat communicable diseases.
In pursuit of this mission, we will make every effort to ensure that the citizens of Texas receive quality services.
HIV/STD Clinical Quality Management Program Priorities
The Texas HIV-STD Clinical Quality Management (QM) Program's priorities are to ensure high-quality HIV-STD prevention and care service delivery to the citizens of Texas. The program applies a dynamic structure allowing for change and updates at any time. The focus is on continuous quality improvement in the following four strategic domains:
- Access to HIV-STD Prevention, Care, and Support Services
- Health Outcomes
- The Client/Patient Experience
- Eliminating Health Disparities in Texas
Also, the HIV-STD CQM Program aligns, supports and is informed by the following associated plans:
- 2017-2021 Texas HIV Plan
- Achieving Together; A Community Plan to End the HIV Epidemic in Texas
- Texas Ryan White Part-B Clinical Quality Management Plan
- For Prevention Contractors
- For Care Contractors
- Ryan White Program Specific Clinical Quality Management Resources and Tools
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) - HRSA is an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is the primary Federal agency for improving access to health care services for people who are uninsured, isolated or medically vulnerable.
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB) - HAB, part of HRSA's Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, is the primary federal agency for improving access to health care services for people who are living with or affected by HIV/AIDS and are uninsured, underinsured, and low income.
- Center for Quality Improvement and Innovation (CQII) - CQII, part of HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, provides technical assistance and resources on quality improvement to Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program recipients.
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) HIV Information
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) - IHI is a non-for-profit organization leading the improvement of health care throughout the world. IHI was founded in 1991 and is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) - NCQA is an organization that performs quality accreditation for HMOs.
- Healthy People 2030 - Healthy People 2030 sets data-driven national objectives to improve health and well-being over the next decade
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) - CAHPS, part of AHRQ, works to advance scientific understanding of patient experience with health care. The site includes surveys, guidance, and other helpful resources.
- Medical Practice Guidelines for HIV/AIDS (HIV.gov) - The federally approved medical practice guidelines for HIV/AIDS. They are available in many formats.
- AIDS Educational Training Center (AETC) Resource Library - The AETC Program National Resource Library contains materials for HIV/AIDS clinicians, clinical trainers, and training program managers.
- HIV Core and Support Service Categories - Texas DSHS Ryan White HIV Part-B and State Services, Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) and Minority AIDS Initiative (MAI) Program service standards, monitoring tools, resources, and telehealth/telemedicine guidance.
- Texas DSHS HIV and STD Planning
- Public Health Nursing - Publications and Forms - DSHS website for public health nursing forms and resources.
- Find Your Local Mental Health or Behavioral Health Authority - Mental health and substance use crisis services and resources in Texas.
- Hepatitis B Information
- Hepatitis C Information
- Tuberculosis Program
- Medical and Research Library
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Texas Health and Human Services
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
- Journal of the American Medical Association