State Preventive Health Advisory Committee
The State Preventive Health Advisory Committee (SPHAC) advises DSHS to carry out the tasks outlined in 42 USC §300w-4(d) regarding the formulation of an annual state plan for the Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant (PPHSBG), administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and make recommendations to DSHS regarding the development and implementation of a state plan, including recommendations on:
- The conduct of assessments of public health
- The activities authorized in U.S. Government Codes, including 42 USC §300w-3 that should be carried out in the state
- The allocation of payments made to the state under 42 USC §300w-2;
- The coordination of activities carried out under the state plan with relevant programs of other entities and the collection; and
- The collection and reporting of data in accordance with 42 USC §300w-5(a).
The State Preventive Health Advisory Committee is governed by Texas Government Code Chapter 2110 (State Agency Advisory Committees) and Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 25, Part 1, § 84.
The State Preventive Health Advisory Committee has eight members.
These members include representatives from Business; College or University, Local Health Department, Hospital or Health System, Schools of Public Health, Senior or Adult Service Organization, State Health Department, and State or Local Government.
Members provide adequate representation of the general public and health departments.
View the committee membership roster (PDF)
The State Preventive Health Advisory Committee is required to meet two times per year per statute.
The purpose and focus of these meetings are to allow the Committee to either (1) plan or discuss the development of the proposed Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant work plan (Healthy People 2030 objectives and activities) that will be submitted or (2) to review a draft of proposed objectives and activities of the work plan. For the final meeting, the Advisory Committee should be presented with the final work plan that will be submitted to CDC, which includes the appropriate allocation amounts, and provided the opportunity to offer any final recommendations.
Next Public Meeting
Date: April 28, 2022
Time: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Location: Robert Bernstein Building (Building K), Room K-100, 1100 W. 49th Street Austin, TX 78756, Videoconference and Teleconference
|December 9, 2021||Agenda||(Minutes may be approved at the next meeting)||Webcast Recording|
|June 23, 2021||Agenda||Approved Minutes||Webcast Recording|
|June 16, 2021||Agenda||Approved Minutes||Webcast Recording|
|November 18, 2020||Agenda||Approved Minutes||Webcast Recording|
|July 7, 2020||Agenda||Approved Minutes||Webcast Recording|
Learn More About the Committee
- United States Government Code 42 USC §300w-4- Applications for Payments, State Plan, Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant
- Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Title 25, Part 1, § 84- The State Preventive Health Advisory Committee
- Texas Government Code 2110- State Agency Advisory Committees
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ¾ Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant (PHHSBG)
For more information, contact:
Texas Department of State Health Services
Division for Regional and Local Health Operations
1100 W. 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756