Texas Outpatient Research Data File (OP RDF)
In accordance with Health and Safety Code, Section 108.012(b),"the council (department) may charge a person requesting public use or provider quality data a fee for the data. The fees may reflect the quantity of information provided and the expense incurred by the council (department) in collecting and providing the data and shall be set at a level that will raise revenue sufficient for the operation of the council (department's program). The council (department) may not charge a fee for providing public use data to another state agency.
Chapter 108 may be viewed by clicking here.
Outpatient Data not released in the PUDF can be requested for research purposes by individuals and organizations, including universities and government agencies. The data elements required for the proposed research and a description of the intended use of the data are reviewed by THCIC program to ensure compliance with statutes governing the data and appropriate quality of detail within the application. Once THCIC program has approved the request, it is forwarded to the DSHS Institutional Review Board for scientific review, including ethical considerations and final approval.
Please note that THCIC data is covered by specific statutes that are not the same as typical Public Health Surveillance laws. It is a criminal act to attempt to identify any physician or patient through use of THCIC outpatient data (see Chapter 108, Texas Health and Safety Code). Your research data request should demonstrate an understanding of these statutes and include details of how the data will be handled throughout all stages of your research study.
Outpatient Research Data Application Forms and Instruction
The Outpatient (OP) Research Data File (RDF) contains data on outpatient surgical and radiological procedures from Texas hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and beginning with the fourth quarter 2020 will include Freestanding Emergency Medical Center ED data.
Data are available by calendar quarter beginning with data for 2010 and may be ordered through 2022 data year. The 2022 data can be released quarterly or annually as it becomes available.
STEPS FOR Requesting Research Data
1. Complete the latest version of the IRB Application and Submission Detail forms, plus the THCIC Outpatient Research Request form (provided below) in “draft” and email the forms to the THCIC program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Data Summary for Inpatient (IP), Outpatient (OP) and Emergency Department
- Outpatient Research Data Order Form
a) THCIC program will “preview” your draft forms for any potential issues that may cause your application to be disapproved and will provide you with this information on any issues with your "draft" application by email within five to ten business days.
- Instructions on how to complete the IRB application. (PDF Format, 590 KB)
2. After receiving feedback from the THCIC program on your "draft" application, finalize and update your IRB application forms.
a) Initial and sign all forms where applicable.
b) Email all required IRB forms, training certificates, and THCIC order forms (if applicable) to THCICHELP@dshs.texas.gov
c) THCIC will review the finalized IRB packet, and if approved, will forward it to the IRB for its review.
|IRB Application (finalized version) Due to THCIC Program by:||Date for IRB Review|
3. Within two weeks after the DSHS IRB meeting date, you will receive an email notification from the DSHS IRB Administrator indicating approval or disapproval of your research data request. The THCIC Program contact is copied on the email.
4. If your research data request is approved, the THCIC Program will email you an invoice for payment of the approved research data within two business days.
5. Once the payment is received, the THCIC Program will begin building your research dataset and will send an email to the Principal Investigator when the dataset is ready for download.
Research Data Dictionary Through 3Q2015 (PDF format, 573 KB)
Research Data Dictionary 4Q2015 - 4Q2021 (PDF format 1.14 MB)
Research Data Dictionary (PDF format, 1.62 MB)
The list of organizations includes a variety of organizations that use the data for analysis. This list is updated annually.
Download Adobe Reader to view PDF files.
If you have suggestions or comments, please submit them to THCIC.
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.