How do I find a J-1 visa waiver job in Texas?

»   The first thing to keep in mind when looking for a qualified job opportunity is the Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) and Medically Underserved Area (MUA) designation status.   You can verify the status by physical address at

»    Not all HPSA’s and MUA’s meet the requirements for the Texas Conrad 30 program.  More information on eligible sites can be found in the Policy Manual

»    You can also contact our office to find out the eligibility status of specific HPSAs and MUA’s.    

»    Look for regions of the state that would suit your preference for climate, access to schools, recreation etc…

»    Once you have some idea which regions interest you and which counties are available, use trade publications, recruiters, and/or the "AHA Guide to the Health Care Field" published by the American Hospital Association to help locate opportunities in your specialty. 


3RNet has information on navigating the J-1 job search and application process on their website at

You can also check out different job search resources on the TPCO's Healthcare Provider Job Resources page

Return to J-1 Visa information


Contact Texas Primary Care Office


Please also see the  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)  page for more information.

Definitions for commonly used terms and acronyms are on the TPCO Definitions page