Original Birth Certificate for Adult Adoptee
Adults who were born in Texas and subsequently adopted can obtain a non-certified copy of their original birth certificate.*
- Complete the application, with no cross outs, no white out, and no correction tape;
- Include a $10.00 check or money order payable to DSHS; and
- Identify the name of each parent listed on original birth certificate;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Submit a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID; and
- If applicable, provide other legal documentation (such as copies of an official supplementary birth certificate based on the adoption; marriage certificate; divorce decree, or court-ordered name change) if the applicant's name has changed.
Complete the Application for Non-Certified Copy of Original Birth Certificate (PDF) and mail it along with a copy of a valid government issued photo ID and a $10.00 check or money order payable to DSHS Vital Statistics to:
Texas Department of State Health Services
P.O. Box 12040
Austin, TX 78711-2040
*See Section 192.008(f) of the Texas Health and Safety Code.