CHW Online Continuing Education
What is a DSHS-certified continuing education unit (CEU)?
The Promotor(a) or Community Health Worker (CHW) Training and Certification Program must certify the training program, curricula, and instructor of a continuing education unit (CEU). After that happens, it is approved as a Department of State Health Services (DSHS) certified CEU.
Community health workers must complete the required DSHS-certified CEUs to renew their certification. You may access continuing education in person, via distance learning, or online depending on the CHW training program offering the course.
Contact the DSHS-certified CHW Training Programs for upcoming continuing education courses for CHWs in your area, or visit the Education Calendar.
- Cardea Services
- CCHD’s National CHW Training Center, Texas A&M School of Public Health
- Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, Office of Special Programs
- University of Texas School of Public Health
- Texas Health Steps Provider Education Modules
Cardea Services offers online DSHS-certified continuing education courses for CHWs. All courses are in English and are free.
For a full list of courses, visit their course catalog.
Questions? Contact Lori Weber at 512-982-9168 or Lweber@cardeaservices.org
CCHD provides online self-paced DSHS-certified continuing education courses in English and Spanish for CHWs. All courses are free.
Questions? Email Brenda Verenisse to email@example.com
TAMHSC-SPH offers a variety of CHW courses in English through their website. Registration is required.
Questions? email OSP@srph.tamhsc.edu
Title: Community Leadership
CEUs: 1 DSHS certified CHW CEU (Competency: Knowledge Base)
Information and Registration
Title: Addressing Infant Mortality: Preconception Health
CEUs: 1.5 DSHS certified CHW CEUs (Competency: Knowledge Base, Teaching)
Information and Registration
Texas Health Steps offers free online continuing education courses designed to enhance providers’ abilities related to preventive health, mental health, oral health & case management services to Medicaid eligible children in Texas. The majority of the online modules are approved as DSHS-certified continuing education for community health workers as well as for Texas physicians, nurses, health education specialists, social workers, and registered sanitarians.
*See list for modules approved as DSHS-certified continuing education for community health workers. Modules related to physician referral guidelines, pharmacy, and specimen collection are not approved as DSHS-certified CHW CEUs.
Registration and Enrollment: Online registration/enrollment at http://txhealthsteps.com/
- Create a Texas Health Steps account.
- Complete the online registration process.
- Select Community Health Worker/Promotor(a) from the drop-down box for your title/profession/discipline.
- This will ensure that you will receive the certificate of completion developed specifically for community health workers/promotores.
- Complete the online pre-test.
- Thoroughly read the content of the module.
- Complete the online post-test.
- Complete the evaluation.
- Save and print the certificate to send in with your CHW renewal application