Community Health Worker Initial Certification
Community Health Workers (CHWs), or Promotores de Salud, are non-medical public health workers who connect communities to health care and social service providers. The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) established the CWH program, in accordance with Health and Safety Code Chapter 48 to operate a program designed to train and educate persons within the CHW program.
CHWs demonstrate skills in the eight core competencies and must meet the following certification requirements:
- Texas resident
- Must be 16 years old.
- Training – Completion of an approved DSHS-certified 160-hour competency-based Community Health Worker training program.
Experience – At least 1000 cumulative hours of community health worker services within the most recent three (3) years. Experience will be verified with the supervisor(s) noted in the application.
Initial CHW Application
Solicitud de Certificación del Promotor(a) de Salud (Español, Word)
Instructions to Apply Online
(Online application is available only in English at this time.)
- Download instructions
Application based on completion of CHW certification training course.
Application based on CHW experience.
- All attachments must be saved in PDF format (photo, certificate of course completion, and experience verification form if applicable)
- Go to the Online Application.
Applicants must submit the following to DSHS:
- Signed and dated application with all information completed. A typed or handwritten signature is acceptable. Or complete the online application. (See instructions above.)
- Color photo, similar to a passport photo. Photo Requirements.
- Training certificate of completion if applying based on completion of an approved 160-hour competency-based training program certified by DSHS.
- An Employment/Volunteer History verification form (if applicable)
Finding your CHW certification number and/or expiration date:
- Go to the DSHS Online Licensing Services website.
- Do not create an account.
- Go to "license search" found in the Check License Status or Search for a License (CHW certification number) section.
- Perform a search.