EMS Reciprocity Certification

Out-of-State Applicants

For verification of your Texas EMS License for other states or agencies send your request and form to emscert@dshs.texas.gov.

An out-of-state certified emergency medical services (EMS) person may apply for Texas certification by reciprocity. Persons with Emergency Care Attendant (ECA); First Responder (FR) or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) are not eligible for Texas Reciprocity.

Military Applicants

Special message for military personnel and veterans

Current military service members, military veterans, and military spouses who received emergency medical technician (EMT) training in the military and have a current National Registry certification are eligible for a Texas EMT certification.  Military service members, military veterans, and military spouses shall follow the same application process as Out of State/Reciprocity applicants because Military courses are not Texas approved/certified courses; therefore, military course work and training is considered in the same manner as out of

Paramedic Applicants

A person currently certified or licensed as a paramedic in another state or US territory, who meets the department’s academic requirements may apply for paramedic certification or licensure through reciprocity.