Congenital Syphilis - Program Resources
Program Efforts to Reduce Congenital Syphilis:
- With additional federal funds, DSHS added to the San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston Health Department’s STD Prevention contracts for focused CS surveillance, public health follow-up, and community engagement activities.
- Disease Intervention Specialists (DIS) are required to prioritize pregnant persons diagnosed with syphilis for partner services.
- DIS are also required to follow-up on persons who are untreated or inadequately treated for a historical syphilis diagnosis and are now pregnant.
- DSHS has partnered with Harris Health System/Baylor College of Medicine, San Antonio Metropolitan Health District, and Dallas County Health and Human Services to conduct enhanced CS case reviews in Harris, Bexar, and Dallas counties to identify missed opportunities for disease intervention or barriers to care engagement using the Fetal Infant Morbidity Review (FIMR) methodology. Learn more about FIMR.
- Program Operating Procedures and Standards Chapter 23 - Congenital Syphilis