Outcome Monitoring Toolkit
The Outcome Monitoring Toolkit was produced by the DSHS HIV/STD Program. The toolkit was developed to provide prevention partners with information and resources useful in reflective practice.
The Outcome Monitoring Toolkit for HIV prevention programs contains:
- A one-page description of the program, including suggested assessible objectives using the questionnaire;
- A questionnaire tailored for use with that program
- A Microsoft Access data entry form
- A Microsoft Excel data entry form
Questionnaire development involved several steps.
- Logic models were reviewed or created for each prevention program.
- Existing questionnaires were matched to the logic models to determine appropriateness.
- Prevention partner staff members were included in a discussion about the surveys and asked to suggest areas of improvement. Discussions addressed questionnaire length, language appropriateness for the target population, and the match between questionnaire items and the prevention program goals.
- In some cases, pre-existing surveys were used in pilot studies and, in other cases, new surveys were developed.
- Questionnaires were piloted in the field by prevention partners.
- Following the pilot studies, the questionnaires were revised based on input from both the program partners and the DSHS staff.
Appropriate Use of Surveys
These questionnaires have been used in the field but have not been subjected to rigorous psychometric analysis. As such, results from responses to questionnaires are appropriate for identifying potential areas for program improvement. They can also identify program strengths. The results they provide should not be seen as the basis for inferences about the associations between determinants and client behaviors.
- One Pager - SISTA
- Pre Questionnaire 1 - SISTA
- Pre Questionnaire 2 - SISTA
- Post Questionnaire - SISTA
- Data Entry Form - SISTA
Questionnaire Item Documentation
Questionnaire Items Sources
- Developed in discussions with Mpowerment program staff at two prevention programs in Texas.
- UTSA staff collaborative discussion with UT evaluation expert
- Austin Outreach SISTA Program Questionnaire
- Adapted from Project Fate Baseline Survey, Partners in Prevention, The University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio
- Advocates for Youth. Training Youth to be Peer Educators. TAP Evaluation Survey: Pretest. Cited in Monitoring Outcomes of HIV Prevention Programs – question bank.
- Toolkit authors
- Valley AIDS Council staff in collaboration with UT staff
- WILLOW HIV Transmission Reduction Among Women Living with HIV. (1999) Original Evaluation Instruments:
- Self-Esteem Scale, p. 6.
- Knowledge Scale, p. 42
- Condom Attitudes Scale, p. 58
- SISTA Implementation Manual, p. 291