- The Burden of Overweight and Obesity in Texas, 2000-2040 (PDF, 211 KB) Report conducted by DSHS in partnership with Texas Department of Agriculture that reveals the cost projections through 2040 for obesity-related illnesses and complications.
- 2020 Early Childhood Nutrition and Physical Activity Statewide Fact Sheet (PDF) Summary of the DSHS Chronic Disease Epidemiology Branch's survey of Texas early care and education systems to better understand their current nutrition, physical activity, and screen time practices. Full report (PDF)
- Promising Strategies for Creating Healthy Eating and Active Living Environments (2008), by the Prevention Institute on behalf of the Healthy Eating Active Living Convergence Partnership, describes environmental and policy approaches to improving health. Promising Strategies was created with input from diverse stakeholders and constituencies from the fields of public health, sustainable food systems, economic development, transportation, planning, and climate change who are engaged in accelerating and supporting the movement for healthier communities.
- HHFKA Implementation Research Brief Series (2016), by the USDA, is a series of research briefs on best practices in School Food Authorities’ implementation of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.
- A Review of Food Marketing to Children and Adolescents (2012), by the Federal Trade Commission, is a follow-up to the 2008 report which was requested by Congress and due to concerns about childhood obesity.
- Recommendations for Responsible Food Marketing to Children (2015), by Healthy Eating Research, defines what constitutes advertising and marketing directed at children.
- The State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, (2014) by the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion presents information on physical activity behaviors and policies that encourage and support physical activity in states.
- The 2018 United States Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth by the National Physical Activity Plan Alliance examines the levels of physical activity and sedentary behaviors in American children and youth, facilitators and barriers for physical activity, and health outcomes related to physical activity.
- Status Report for Step It Up!: The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Walking and Walkable Communities by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides an update on the state of walking activity among Americans and what has been done to increase walkability since the initial report was released.
- 1996 Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General (1996), by US Department of Health and Human Services was the first Surgeon General's report to address physical activity and health. http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/sgr/contents.htm
Viewing information for PDF files
External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to people with disabilities.