By 1 Month
• Your baby must have a newborn screening at birth.
• If the baby did not pass, a second screen is done after leaving the birth facility
By 3 Months
• If my baby does not pass the initial screenings, he will need further tests with a pediatric audiologist- a hearing expert who specializes in the assessment and management of children with hearing loss.
You may then be referred to:
• Early Childhood Intervention (ECI)
• Statewide Outreach Center at the Texas School for the Deaf (SOC at TSD)
By 6 Months
My baby must be enrolled intervention services, including:
• Early intervention services
• Teacher for the deaf or hard of hearing
• Pediatric audiologist/hearing technology evaluation
If you need help finding a pediatric audiologist, ask your baby’s doctor or the hospital staff who conducted your baby’s screening. They may even be able to help you schedule an appointment.
A two-page chart showing the 1-3-6-month guide to the hearing screening and intervention process is available. View the 1-3-6 Guide.