- School Nurses in 1,020 School Districts
- Licensed Child Care Facilities - Approximately 9,520
- Licensed Child Care Homes - Approximately 1,740
- Private Schools - Approximately - 1,041
- Charter Schools - 211
- Common School Districts - 6
- Education Service Centers - 20
- Schools of Nursing and Communication Departments
- Local Health Department Personnel
- Prevent Blindness Texas
- Lions Clubs
- Texas Health Steps Providers
- Head Start
- Teaching and Mentoring Communities
- Migrant Health
- Physician Clinics
- OSHA Registered Individuals in Texas
- Provide information about the mandated screening.
- Make sure that quality training workshops are available for them.
- Provide training in ample time for screening to be completed by deadlines.
- Respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Provide technical assistance where needed.
- Identify local resources for referral and remedial purposes.
- Identify state resources for referral and remedial purposes.
Who Trains Screeners Who Screen for Vision and Hearing?
Schools of Nursing
There are 34 schools of nursing that have Department of State Health Services (DSHS) authorized vision (123) and hearing (126) instructors.
Other Instructors of Higher Education Institutions
There are 5 institutions with 1 vision and 5 hearing instructors.
Independent School Districts
There are 59 Independent School Districts with DSHS-authorized instructors (168 for vision and 177 for hearing).
Prevent Blindness in Texas
They have 3 DSHS-authorized instructors. These instructors only train screeners for vision screening.
Number Screened Annually:
- Approximately 2,700,000 for vision
- Approximately 2,600,000 for hearing